Dapol class 122 - which decoder have you used ?

Covkid

Bit short of time today but had a go at fitting a Lenz Silver+ 21 pin decoder into my Dapol green class 122. Managed to get the front end marker / tail lights to come on as appropriate at either end, the saloon lights and the cab light at one end. The cab at the opposite end would light up when switched on, but then turn off straight away.

I understand the model requires a minimum of 5 functions on a decoder to work successfully, but also read that the Silver+ does this.

I havn't touched the dip switches on the ceiling lighting bar yet, but don't believge they would affect the cab lighting at one end.

Welcome any thoughts and comments 

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Gold

Bit short of time today but had a go at fitting a Lenz Silver+ 21 pin decoder into my Dapol green class 122. Managed to get the front end marker / tail lights to come on as appropriate at either end, the saloon lights and the cab light at one end. The cab at the opposite end would light up when switched on, but then turn off straight away.

I understand the model requires a minimum of 5 functions on a decoder to work successfully, but also read that the Silver+ does this.

I havn't touched the dip switches on the ceiling lighting bar yet, but don't believge they would affect the cab lighting at one end.

Welcome any thoughts and comments 

After some delay I have been supplied with a decoder that fully drives the lights - so no turning on and shortly off - earlier  i had the same problem as you with a Gaugemaster 21/8  pin.

It may come as no surprise that the decoder is a Dapol Imperium 1 MTC 6 function decoder. I wonder whether one of the mags will give us clues as to what tweaks are needed on non-Dapol decoders...............

Presumably the same problem will occur on the Class 221.

Basil

Visited the excellent Dapol shop at Gledrid park this afternoon, talked to a chap and explained the problem. The problem is apparently with my controller, a Prodigy Advance 2. Apparently this is the only DCC controller not to be able to latch Function 2. He gave me such data sheets and recommended I remap the function to another key. This information was very much appreciated and whilst I was there I bought an Imperium decoder to fit.

Thanks very much Dapol. Will have a play tomorrow whilst we are covered in ten inches of snow !!!!  

Visited the excellent Dapol shop at Gledrid park this afternoon, talked to a chap and explained the problem. The problem is apparently with my controller, a Prodigy Advance 2. Apparently this is the only DCC controller not to be able to latch Function 2.

The chap at the Dapol shop needs to expand his knowledge.   Most US-designed DCC systems don't latch F2 (Digitrax, MRC/Gaugemaster, etc).   Its the way US DCC systems do things.   

- Nigel

Thanks to "mjcbasingstoke" in another thread for a very simple fix to my problem. Basically move the F2 function to F4 button by changing CV36 value from 8 to 32. This his text C&P'd from the Imperium decoder thread 

Have resolved my issue regarding remapping the lights. I presumed it conformed to MNRA rules so changed CV36, which is Function 2, from 8 to 32 which is for data for Function 4. So now function 2 switch is in fact Function 4 switch.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Recently bought a Dapol class 122 and fitted it with a Lenz silver+. 

Had no issues with lighting F0 directional, F1 cab light , F2 cab light, F4 interior lights no issues. 

All switch fine with NCE  Powercab.  I even remapped using JMRI and now both cab lights controlled via F1 with only the cab light in the direction of travel lit.  Interior lights remapped to F2 without issues.