RMweb

Class 66 sound chip

Gilbertfrog

• 4 weeks later...

What's drivelock? And how do I know if I need it :)

Drivelock is an F Key function, which allows you the disable the Motor Drive from the sound.  Thus you can lock the speed of the loco 'at any speed', then either coast the loco forever!!! or work it flat out at low 'Or Any' speed.

Simulating pulling a heavy train at slow speeds.

Charlie

Where do you live, as we go to many shows and can demonstrate this feature.

Edited by charliepetty

What's drivelock? And how do I know if I need it :)

Paul,

You are a ZIMO user. You don't need 'Drive Lock' as your decoders can already be set up to give genuine dynamic effects of Heavy Train or Light Engine with changing engine power sounds automatically, operated by the throttle.

However, if you prefer to press an F key to give up the control of speed (temporarily) so that you can use the throttle control to change the engine power sounds, which is the essence of 'Drive Lock' on ESU, then the Class 66 ActiveDrive SL*  from Digitrains on ZIMO decoders can do that as well (F key 7) so no need to miss out. It can also be used seamlessly in conjunction with other ZIMO dynamic effects.

*The SL tells you that the project incorporates the Speed Lock feature, a slightly more accurate term since it's the speed which is locked, not the drive. (That's what the Brake Key is for, LOL).

You've stated on another thread that you have a ZIMO decoder with a sound project from another source that you are unhappy with. Pop it over to Digitrains and they'll reblow it for you with the ActiveDrive SL Class 66 (or any other from their range as all their D-H and D-E sound projects have Speed Lock). Your cheapest option too.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Hi Paul

Will keep that in mind for mine, but after talking to the other supplier my disappointment might be down to a faulty decoder, so mine is going back for testing, if it comes back the same I will send it away to Digitrains for a reblow.

Paul

Paul,

Quite right, your first port of call should be your original supplier. It's only fair to give them the chance to rectify any actual or perceived problems.

I'm sorry I assumed that you had done that already without a satisfactory result before posting here.

Best regards,

Paul

Had a look at the Biffo offering for a class 55, it was rather limited in it's sound options, is that normal for his sound sets?

Quite a few on this list shown as not used when other sound suppliers use them all, or are they just padding the sounds because they can, station anouncments and guards whistles etc.

F0 Lights On / Off (New Fade on/Fade off feature enabled)

F1 Sound On/Off. (With automatic 2nd engine start)

F2 Playable High Note Horn (Different at each end!)

F3 Playable Low Note Horn. (Different at each end!)

F4 Buffer Clash.

F5 Air Release. (Automatic Air dump after stopping now added)

F6 Drivers sliding door open/close

F7 Compressor. .

F8 Drive Hold (DriveLock)

F9 Automatic Flange/Wheel Squeel.

F10 Despatch Whistle.

F11 Not Used.

F12 Not Used..

F13 Sanders.

F14 Not Used.

F15 Not Used.

F16 Not Used.

F17 Not Used.

F18 Detonators.

F19 Aux 1

F20 Aux 2

Had a look at the Biffo offering for a class 55, it was rather limited in it's sound options, is that normal for his sound sets?

Quite a few on this list shown as not used when other sound suppliers use them all, or are they just padding the sounds because they can, station anouncments and guards whistles etc.

F0 Lights On / Off (New Fade on/Fade off feature enabled)

F1 Sound On/Off. (With automatic 2nd engine start)

F2 Playable High Note Horn (Different at each end!)

F3 Playable Low Note Horn. (Different at each end!)

F4 Buffer Clash.

F5 Air Release. (Automatic Air dump after stopping now added)

F6 Drivers sliding door open/close

F7 Compressor. .

F8 Drive Hold (DriveLock)

F9 Automatic Flange/Wheel Squeel.

F10 Despatch Whistle.

F11 Not Used.

F12 Not Used..

F13 Sanders.

F14 Not Used.

F15 Not Used.

F16 Not Used.

F17 Not Used.

F18 Detonators.

F19 Aux 1

F20 Aux 2

What other sounds do you want!!

Our Function lists are standard across the range for EMU's, DMU's Etc.    So the higher functions are used for Passenger Announcements (EMU/DMU) Cooler Groups (Loco's), Tamping Mode (Plasser Tamper) etc, so every function is not used on every project.

We don't put on Platform Announcements of other non Loco sounds like others do.

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty

I have a lokprogrammer and install sound files to decoders myself. There’s a useful feature to show you how much of the available memory (32mb I think) the sound project uses and the legomanbiffo ones use every last bit of memory! He’s definitely getting the most out of the decoders, that’s probably why he doesn’t add loads of extra features, it would mean reducing the quality of the main ones

Richard

Having been fitting some class 66 decoders recently over the last few weeks, I think the Biffo 66 is coming from a 66/9 recording as the idle speed sounds faster, much like the Howes 66/9 chip.

That is leaving you able to use Howes 66/0 and SWD/Bachmann on ESU Loksound 4 or Digitrains on Zimo for the standard 66/0.

Biffo chips are excellent for the quality and the amount of sound that you can get. Biffo chips have 4 different methods for moving off, depending on how much you open up the throttle when your leaving. Move slowly and it revs, while open straight up and you do get thrash. All things like that take up memory available. Don't forget that the drive lock function also will use space.

In looking at the class 55, its very hard to get a good sound recording of this engine. But Biffos is excellent, especially if fitted with a base speaker - as someone who does shop around to check before purchasing. This is the one I would recommend most.

• Like 1