RMweb

School Project - The Victorian Railway

No worries at all. :) I'll get them assembled and stick them in the post to you tomorrow if you give me your address in PM. I'll attempt to cut some motion too, but can't promise it'll be any use.

Wow amazing!

I have tried to make my files for my 7mm coach work in 4mm... but the cutter isn't happy at the 0.5mm it needs to be. Would your laser cutter do it? Can it read silhouette files?

Wow amazing!

I have tried to make my files for my 7mm coach work in 4mm... but the cutter isn't happy at the 0.5mm it needs to be. Would your laser cutter do it? Can it read silhouette files?

I don't know what file format your Silhouette works with but I can use DXF files? The beading on the end of my 4mm Stroudley coaches (see my layout thread in this sub-forum) are drawn at 0.5mm - they actually come out at 0.3mm due to the 0.2mm width of the laser beam. What material are you cutting? The laser cutter doesn't work with plasticard...

Edited by Skinnylinny

I don't know what file format your Silhouette works with but I can use DXF files? The beading on the end of my 4mm Stroudley coaches (see my layout thread in this sub-forum) are drawn at 0.5mm - they actually come out at 0.3mm due to the 0.2mm width of the laser beam. What material are you cutting? The laser cutter doesn't work with plasticard...

I'm cutting card- and could maybe make the files PDF if that helps? Likewise available to anyone else on here.. not much use to me at that scale!

• Like 1

I have seen the 7mm card model; it's really very special: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90804-gainford-spa/?p=1605770.

I'm cutting card- and could maybe make the files PDF if that helps? Likewise available to anyone else on here.. not much use to me at that scale!

A scale drawing would be welcome, whether or not it can be laser cut in 4mm.

These are what we're talking about:

post-25673-0-77527300-1523569752_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-05654300-1523569846_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-55089700-1523569991_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-60850800-1523570096_thumb.jpg

The only things I can really work with are SVG and DXF I'm afraid. I don't know if the SIlhouette software will output in either of those formats?

Meanwhile, I've had an attempt at some rods for Derwent too - they're not very strong but they might last a few laps. If they work, I could see about using the laser cutter to cut masks to allow me to etch rods for a longer-lasting model in the future.

post-793-0-36502400-1523570180_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The only things I can really work with are SVG and DXF I'm afraid. I don't know if the SIlhouette software will output in either of those formats?

Meanwhile, I've had an attempt at some rods for Derwent too - they're not very strong but they might last a few laps. If they work, I could see about using the laser cutter to cut masks to allow me to etch rods for a longer-lasting model in the future.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180412_224252674.jpg

Looking really good, Linny

Thank you so much.

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Premium

Ah' much fer a For-mill verson?

And translated from 'Saarf Lundunn':

How much would you charge, good sir, for a four-millimetre scaled version of that fine model?

it might  scale up roof and under-frame would be your problem I had thought of trying  one to offer as a  part of T project  but thought it may be to close to  a Jesuit  mission  

however at the moment the laser is poorly so would not be for a week or two

for info it is based on the Royal coach that ended up on the KESR

as to charging I would expect a local worthy  cause to have a couple of quid in their coffers  ( Hospice or food bank) a sheet of ply is a <£4  the electric is pennies  the files drawn but helping someone down is priceless

Nick

• Like 3

That would be very good of you Sir, and a noble gesture to boot. I would be willing to pop a few quid (maybe more than a few) into a local charity, and that would be a very good incentive to do so!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Also, Nick, where did you get such lovely thin laser-able wood from, if you don't mind my asking?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-Birch-Plywood-Sheets-Laser-Safe-For-Crafts-Models-Pyrography/251805150797?hash=item3aa0c1ae4d:m:mTckUpmn0pBR2uQzXeX1G_w

has always  worked with my baby 4w laser 

recently I have a delivery from https://hobarts.com/wood

but can not confirm the quality as my laser is poorly but doctors are sending the medicine from down under 

check this thread for more info http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108310-darkly-labs-emblaser-affordable-laser-cutter-review/

my apologies for hijacking this topic

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That would be very good of you Sir, and a noble gesture to boot. I would be willing to pop a few quid (maybe more than a few) into a local charity, and that would be a very good incentive to do so!

IM message me I feel sure we can sort something out once baby is fixed

Nick

edit for pp spelling

Edited by nick_bastable

MRC published seven plans in the late 60's of early Parliamentary carriages which may be suitable for a quick scratch build. Unfortunately the attached scans have come out the wrong size (experimenting with a new scanner) but they do have a scale rule under the plans.

Edit - just noticed the last one doesn't have the scale.

Dave R. 

post-24168-0-39255300-1523592847_thumb.jpg

post-24168-0-09758600-1523593016_thumb.jpg

post-24168-0-90745200-1523593043_thumb.jpg

Edited by Devo63
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Now this sort of thing, especially the wheel centre masks, is where using new technologies starts to become really interesting.

• RMweb Premium

Beware the Airfix Rocket - it must be nearer H0 than 00 as the boiler has to fit between the back-to-back of the driving wheels. 4mm scale carriages may dwarf it.

Some brilliant models coming out of the woodwork (yes!) here - marriage of the earliest prototypes and the latest technologies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You are suffering from modellers' amnesia.

If I had £1 for every time I could not find a kit, a set of wheels, a set of couplings etc., I could afford for someone else to build my models and losing bits would be their problem!

• Like 2

You are suffering from modellers' amnesia.

If I had £1 for every time I could not find a kit, a set of wheels, a set of couplings etc., I could afford for someone else to build my models and losing bits would be their problem!

Trouble is, I had so little time as it was!

I lost the end of the boiler yesterday, but found it last night.

I meant to ask, how hard was it to remove the backhead piece to access the hollow inside the boiler?

Not hard, I just inserted clippers and clipped it off.

Fitting it will be a challenge given the cylinders, but we'll manage.

The coal tender axle boxes do not exactly align with the motor bogie axles.  I assume your arrangement is correct and the motor bogie w/b is fractionally off; you did not have the motor-bogie when you designed it.  This might be a future refinement. 

As I mentioned, the material probably isn't up to very fine surface detail like the name and number, but it sanded up well, using fairly gentle lady's nail abrasive sticks.

Having applied ink to show the level of surface detail better for photographs, I realised that the polyamide takes acrylic paint well, and I think that the assumption that I need to undercoat might be wrong.  It will save some time if I don't.

I think that there is scope to add a lot of fine detail, including rivets, that necessarily had to be left off the print, but given the time restraints, I do not propose to 'super-detail' it; I'll just be grateful if I can get it to run!

Now, where did I put that wretched wheel set?!?

post-25673-0-35376000-1523623187_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-63784200-1523623256_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5