RMweb

Goods Shed

MDP78

This is my first successful complete scratch build project - a goods shed for my layout.  Made from Wills plasticard parts, shed doors came from a Craftsman CK19 kit, the door to the single storey section and the windows are Ratio as are the rainwater goods.  The staircase is a cut down one I had spare from a Ratio 500 signal box kit.  The design is loosely based on the ex-Cambrian goods shed still extant (although now converted to residential use) at Bettisfield on the Oswestry, Ellesmere and Whitchurch route.

post-26292-0-59462400-1520202237_thumb.jpg

post-26292-0-72587800-1520202248_thumb.jpg

post-26292-0-40521900-1520202259_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

lovely model and in admiration of your modelling skills.

I for one can't wait to see further offerings and possibly a layout to go with them?

(of note I have just happily forked out £40 for the resin version in stone,but on reflection believe that yours will look superior once appropriate signs added and 'planted' in a goods yard or siding.

keep up the excellent work and look forward to more photos in due course.

Yours Aye,

Giz

• RMweb Gold

​Well done on your first scratch-build. It's not easy to build with Wills wall textures as they are so thick and the joints are not easy to conceal. For my two pennyworth is it possible to open one of the road-side doors if the model faces the viewer? It makes the scene more alive if you can see into the building with creates and boxes on show.

• RMweb Gold

That is a very good first build; in fact it would be very good from an experienced modeller!  I have relied entirely on RTP or kits for my current layout's buildings, but have a couple of factories and low relief industrial buildings on my cv; I doubt that my best work was up to this standard.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I did think carefully about whether the doors should be open or closed. Im sticking with closed for now. Mainly because it disguises the fact I havent build a loading platform inside the shed. It is something I will do in time and then perhaps revisit whether the doors stay open or closed. However I want to move onto a couple of other challenges first.

I have a ballasted layout with one platform virtually complete (subject to touching up some paint where there was some warping damage in the summer - Ill be putting something heavy on of the platform this year to prevent that) and another platform that is about 80% complete. So my work programme is finally finish those and build a station building, as well as get some other scenery finished.