Help needed finding a Southern O scale layout

I have in my possession a rather nice 7mm scale Southern 0-4-4 that was Bequeathed to me over 20 years ago. The builder was a friend of my Grandparents, and built a large layout in his loft at the Doctors Surgery in Weedon Bec in Northamptonshire. As a child (and then a fan of the GWR) I would nag my parents to visit, but actual visits only occurred a couple of times due to the layout needing several operators.

From memory, it was based in the LSWR near Winchester in 1933, and the loco fleet numbered over 50 (nearly all Southern with one GWR). It was wired for stud contact and had return loops in the loft eaves and a lifting section for access.

I was wondering if anyone remembers the layout or Builder, or knows if it ever appeared in any publications...? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

post-6819-0-58550900-1520334551_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-36880200-1520334593_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-73717000-1520334618_thumb.jpg

As this model appears to be coarse scale for three-rail stud pick-up then you may get a response by:-

1/ contacting the editor of the Gauge 0 Guild "Gazette" who might offer space for a photo and caption...

2/ asking a member of the G0G to post on the G0G Forum.

I've put a link on the GoG forum which may elicit a response.

Best

Simon

Thank you Simon, by my own embarrassment I did ask a friend how to go about doing the same and was kindly handed a copy of the Gazette in return, but didn't follow it through when I found their forum didn't allow guests to post.

Something strange in the forum because I seem to have lost a couple of posts, anyway, hit what might be gold. Reply from “Falcus”;

“The Guild slide collection (number 17 I think) holds a programme on this railway. Hope this helps.

Best to all

Kev.”

You would need to join the Guild to get access to this, but I hope it’s whatyou’re looking for

All the best

Simon

Edited by Simond

Martin Bloxsom has several items from the same stable, and if you look on my thread, I posted a phot9 of one owned by another individual only last week.

If you PM me, I have Martin’s phone number - he knows a lot about the history of these items and the railway, and I think he may have known the owner himself.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Latest from Dave Smith on the Guild forum.

“The late Dr.Stephen Hughes was a member of our local (Northants) Gauge 0 group, and his layout was always a popular venue for our (then) monthly meetings. Situated in the attic of the large, rambling Old Rectory at Weedon, his layout featured an extensive double track continuous circuit, hidden loops, and a magazine of sidings where up to 40 assembled trains could be stored. Rolling stock was coarse scale, but running on finescale track, pick-up being by means of an ingenious variation of stud contact. Stephen's system employed wire, looped over every fifth sleeper and hidden beneath the ballast in between. The result was almost invisible, except at pointwork where conventional studs had to be employed to raise the loco skate clear of the crossing rails. Most of the stock was built by Stephen, but also included items built by his father. Not only was the doctor a talented builder, but also a skillful painter. I have in my possession a rake of three SECR coaches, which he built, painted, hand-lettered and lined - all in the space of a month, and in his eightieth year!

Dave”

• Like 1

Further to Dave's comments, at one of our recent meetings we were treated with several slides of Dr Stephen Hughes railway.
Another member e-mailed a copy of 'Topics', the groups magazine, published in the 90s. In it there is a rather harrowing story relating to the good doctor and a train crash at Weedon. Hopefully it is attached here:-

post-33974-0-21803000-1520945275_thumb.jpg

post-33974-0-47856500-1520945301_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Martin Bloxsom has several items from the same stable, and if you look on my thread, I posted a phot9 of one owned by another individual only last week.

If you PM me, I have Martin’s phone number - he knows a lot about the history of these items and the railway, and I think he may have known the owner himself.

Kevin

PM Sent.

Latest from Dave Smith on the Guild forum.

“The late Dr.Stephen Hughes was a member of our local (Northants) Gauge 0 group, and his layout was always a popular venue for our (then) monthly meetings. Situated in the attic of the large, rambling Old Rectory at Weedon, his layout featured an extensive double track continuous circuit, hidden loops, and a magazine of sidings where up to 40 assembled trains could be stored. Rolling stock was coarse scale, but running on finescale track, pick-up being by means of an ingenious variation of stud contact. Stephen's system employed wire, looped over every fifth sleeper and hidden beneath the ballast in between. The result was almost invisible, except at pointwork where conventional studs had to be employed to raise the loco skate clear of the crossing rails. Most of the stock was built by Stephen, but also included items built by his father. Not only was the doctor a talented builder, but also a skillful painter. I have in my possession a rake of three SECR coaches, which he built, painted, hand-lettered and lined - all in the space of a month, and in his eightieth year!

Dave”

Thanks for the description, although I was very young at the time and it was 35+ years ago, that sounds like a pretty accurate descption.

I also vaguely remember asking about the pickup arrangement as the studs were apparent in some places, but not others. 

Further to Dave's comments, at one of our recent meetings we were treated with several slides of Dr Stephen Hughes railway.

Another member e-mailed a copy of 'Topics', the groups magazine, published in the 90s. In it there is a rather harrowing story relating to the good doctor and a train crash at Weedon. Hopefully it is attached here:-

Thankyou for posting the account, I remember my Grandmother saying that Mrs Hughes had received the MBE for assisting after the accident, but wasn't aware of Dr Hughes' involvement.

OT, I realise, but there is something about the use of the term "guild" that puts me off joining. It's very irrational, but the word carries negative connotations, around lack of transparency, and self-interest, as well as more positive ones around craftsmanship, and it smells slightly of pretentiousness.

Kevin

You and many others perhaps

I like the sense of craftsmanship - the other connotations are of course less than ideal. I can live with it. The Gazette, and the trader links are worthwhile imo. Standards being revised currently, and the shows of course. Worth joining I feel.

I recently suggested that it might be time for a more up-to-date title, but there are elements of the Guild to whom any change is anathema and there are those who would rather resign than allow such a change!

Suffice it to say that there is ongoing discussion...

Best

Simon

Andy

Like this thread, the Guild one is growing legs too - you really might want to join!

best

Simon

I do have some modelling interest in O.... but it's US Traction and although I like the chunkiness of it compared to my HO modelling, it'd only be a duplicate of what I am currently doing and at a less accurate scale-gauge ratio. 

Ooh, dangerous territory!

Personally, I model in 0-MF, using a less accurate gauge to get more accurate flangeways, objectively better running, subjectively better appearance, and still be able to run my stock elsewhere, and visitors’ stock at my place.

There are those who refuse to countenance such arcane practices, because they use RTR track, or because they somehow feel that a less accurate gauge makes it worse.

And at one side of the the broad church, there is the S7 movement, well-built models in S7 are, IMO, better looking than those built to 0F standards, but I started in 0F and I ain’t changing twenty years of kit & scratch built models. And sitting on the other side of the aisle, there are those, like Kevin, who prefer the tinplate standards, and that approach to modelling, which I can appreciate, but wouldn’t want to do.

There are some US outline models and modellers on the forum, and a few Aussies too. There’s also some excellent US traction modelling on WT.

Best

Simon

OT, I realise, but there is something about the use of the term "guild" that puts me off joining. It's very irrational, but the word carries negative connotations, around lack of transparency, and self-interest, as well as more positive ones around craftsmanship, and it smells slightly of pretentiousness.

It isn't something I would go to Jerusalem over, either way. I agree it's an old-fashioned title, and off-putting to some. But so much in this country is barnacled with age and needs scrapping, this is a minor aspect of that "tradition".

Getting change in any organisation is difficult and painful. Which is why professional "changers" command big bucks. In a commercial or even public sector organisation bull-headed management can enforce change, but don't expect either the staff or the punters to like it. Not in this country!

In a voluntary body like the GOG (or any other collection of railway people) change is, if anything, even more difficult to achieve. Herding cats is a stroll in the park by comparison. Experience tells me that usually the silent majority (about 70-90%) of a given membership are quite happy, or at least don't want to be disturbed. Any "ginger group" trying to spice things up will unleash the gates of hell upon themselves. Almost invariably, they will be defeated at an AGM, and be called (if they are lucky) "troublemakers". 

I would like to see the GOG reformed and updated, but I suspect there's more chance of me winning the Euromillions, or being appointed to the House of Lords. The latter two do at least have some faint chance of happening.

Edited by Poggy1165