Correct loads for these 2 Bachmann wagons?

JSModels

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I'm thinking about loads for some of my wagons, and I wanted to check a couple of them to see what the correct loads should be.

First up is 37-064 'Farndon':

post-32999-0-81385500-1520785844.jpg

And second 37-062 'Edwin W. Badland':

post-32999-0-92061200-1520785927.jpg

Since both of these wagon liveries have been done by Hornby as well as Bachmann (R6749 & R6588 respectively) I can only assume that they are genuine liveries & not made up. So the question is, what should each of them carry? I found from t'internet that the Bachmann version is/was available in a weathered version with a load, which looks like sand. Is this correct?

Also, a couple of websites list the Badland wagon as a 5-plank coal wagon, but is that what it would have actually carried, or just a description of the type of wagon?

I've tried googling both company names to see if that shed any light on the subject, but have had no joy (either company name just brings up mostly results about the models...).

Thanks in advance,

JRB

"Be careful what you ask for ......"  

A photo of Badlands wagon #57 appears in "P.O. Wagons from the Gloucester R.C.&W. Co. Ltd." by Keith Montague.

It was built in October 1903 as a 10 Ton 6-plank coal wagon measuring 14'5" over body, the bodywork being 4' high. The livery is described as dark red with white lettering shaded black, slightly different to the livery of yours.

I have no info on the Farndon wagon but the Farndons were certainly coal merchants in Rugby in 1910. See this page (on the right towards the foot). Google is your friend!:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28420/page/6933/data.pdf

My advice is if you like these models, put a coal load in each and think no more about it!

Best regards,

Martin

(EDIT) I use Parkside plastic coal loads. Gaugemaster have these for £3.50 for three (+P&P). However, you may find a better price for yourself elsewhere or on eBay:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PA26

Edited by MartinTrucks

• RMweb Gold

Kelly's Directory Birmingham 1888

post-9767-0-09225700-1520812802.jpg

Fazeley Street was probably better known as Banbury Street Wharf just by Proof House Junction.

By the time of his death c1916 Edwin was living in a smart house overlooking Small Heath Park and left over £9000 in his will

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Even without the above information I would have said the most likely load would be coal.  These are 'merchant's wagons', for unloading in coal yards into staithes from the side doors, and not fitted with end doors or hoppers.  End doors were essential for tipping into ships at the ports, and mostly colliery owned, and hoppers were more common in the North East of England where domestic coal went into drops rather than staithes at the yards.

• Like 1