Witney Euston

mitziblue

• RMweb Gold

Until I built an 1887, 1907 and then 1923 private owner wagon (all 2mm assoc kits- and in my opinion now the most important they offer to the 2mm modeller- we'd really be screwed without them) I used to think it would never be noticeable in this scale what RCH type was utilised on a pre-group layout. But the differences in general dimensions is really very noticeable in this scale, and I now promise NEVER to use a 1923 RCH wagon on a pre-group layout! (That said, I find 1923 p/o wagons very useful for bashing in to GCR diagram 7 5-plank wagons, which are almost identical in overall dimensions. I'm sure others have done the same with other Railway Co's.)

The RCH specifications were to show best practice and many wagon builders were building wagons to these standards long before the RCH adopted them - in much the same way as it took other builders a number of years to adopt the latest RCH standards. So no need to deny yourself a few more wagons :icon_smile:

What is most appealing is the variety of wagon hights in a train which the wide availability of kits allows. I am currently adding a few of the new Matheison RTR wagons to my collection on Highbury colliery. These are superb and a doddle to convert to finescale with their 13.7mm axle. New wheels, new couplings and a bit of weathering and off you go. For my money the best steam era RTR wagon to date by a comfortable margin.

Strict prototypical running looks like going out the window when I take Highbury to Basingstoke in a couple of weeks as a couple of 2mm members who are helping me out are threatening to bring along some 60's, 66's and MGR hoppers - enough to make a pre-group modeller weep.

Highbury will be at expo in July and I am very much looking forward to seeing Witney-Euston - keep it going Mark

Jerry

ps. hows the non-smoking going?

• RMweb Gold

The wagons look great. I wish I could get home-printed lettering to sit down over the detail as well as that! I think the fact I'm using quite cheap transfer paper that doesnt stick without diluted PVA glue is maybe a factor.

btw, RCH stands for 'Railway Clearing House', the UK's central authority for mediating cross-company fares, and later for setting technical standards in rolling stock to promote standardisation. A 1907 RCH wagon was one built to comply with the 1907 standards issued to all railway companies and Private-owner wagon builders. It replaced the first set of 1887 standards and was suceeded by the 1923 standard. Amongst a few other things mainly relating to brakes, the 1907 standard introduced a standard 16' length. I am sure someone on here would be able to talk at great length on the matter but there was a super set of articles in RM a few years ago detailing the development of the P/O wagon which very usefully talked about how long it took for all these standards to be adopted, and the 40 years or so it took for some earlier standards to become totally extinct.

Until I built an 1887, 1907 and then 1923 private owner wagon (all 2mm assoc kits- and in my opinion now the most important they offer to the 2mm modeller- we'd really be screwed without them) I used to think it would never be noticeable in this scale what RCH type was utilised on a pre-group layout. But the differences in general dimensions is really very noticeable in this scale, and I now promise NEVER to use a 1923 RCH wagon on a pre-group layout! (That said, I find 1923 p/o wagons very useful for bashing in to GCR diagram 7 5-plank wagons, which are almost identical in overall dimensions. I'm sure others have done the same with other Railway Co's.)

It really goes to show just what sort of modelling 2mm scale can offer!

cheers for the continued posting of progress on the layout.

Will

Jerry

ps. hows the non-smoking going?

Hi Jerry

Smoking thing is going all right cravings are going and patience returned to as normal as it gets, i take it your computer lessons aren't going so well :D

Looks like I can post the pic now

post-7093-126694679423_thumb.jpg

Mark :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry

Smoking thing is going all right cravings are going and patience returned to as normal as it gets, i take it your computer lessons aren't going so well :D

Looks like I can post the pic now

I'll say this only once..... :icon_redface:

Well done on the smoking mate, my computing skills still rubbish!

The rake of hop wagons look good :icon_winker:

Jerry

So here I am once more

Trying to recapture my youth while doing a bit this afternoon. Time seemed to fly by while singing along to a 80s Aylesbury based band but I am pleasantly surprised with the progress made.

Didn't think I had put much time into modelling this week but looking back at what has been done I could be wrong.

One of my problems on W E is bringing in the coal wagons full then having them depart empty, as the coal sidings are at the front of the layout wagons cannot be swapped discreetly so a load has been made to fit loosely fit in the wagons with a magnet under the coal, Now all one has to do is distract the punters long enough (what's that over there)then a piece of metal in the hand or on a stick will attract the load out of the wagon. Played with the idea yesterday and it worked well.

Abingdon MRC are holding a exhibition next Saturday and yours truly will be doing a demo, now I usually do wagon chassis construction but for a change I will be applying some of my transfers to wagon bodies and maybe painting them in. So also this week some more liveries have been drawn up ready for printing off and with some guidance and help from Missy (must put a big thank you in here )so THANKYOU Missy some more elaborate sides have been designed{your not the only computer e literate person around Jerry).

Now to this afternoon. The back-scene has started taking shape,three sheets of water colour paper was cut up the middle given me six bits as a piece will not reach the length of a board. The snow covered field was masked off and the sky colour sprayed on to four of the pieces the other two had the sunrise painted on first. Once happy with the sky the trees were applied in four colours with a natural sponge before hazing them in with a light spray of a lightened sky colour. remove the masking tape and there you go a reasonable back scene in a couple of hours. Also took the advise of a couple people and increased the hight by two inches.Will have to put the layout together again to fit the back scene and get the overall effect but here's a pic in the meantime.

post-7093-126737854834_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

That looks terrific - you have achieved a great sense of depth there with the low trees and its nice not to see a blue sky for a change.

Some more photos like that would be great ;)

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Very atmospheric modelling especially the winter touch.

Regarding the traction wagon these and carriage trucks would have been loaded using an end dock. The loads wer usually wheeled vehicles such as traction wagons and horse drawn vehicles such a pantechnicons for house moves or posh folks carriages. These would be pushed and pulled on and off probably using the shunting horse. At a small station the horse may have been used for deliveries with a cart at other times.

When in transit the load would be secured by chains and wooden bulks used to chock the wheels.

Donw

Hi

As Missy has already posted the ox2mmag had a stand at Abrail this past weekend and we all got the opotunity to do a bit of moddeling as a demo.This was an opotunity to show some of my transfers which went down well with the public who listens while I explained how I designed ,printed off and then showed how they were applied. Then when I was done most asked if the company I got them from done them in oo. Guess you can't allways win :icon_frustrated: .

Found an interesting photo in the libary earlier today of witney pre 1930s some wagons in the station.

post-7093-126808728235_thumb.jpg

Mark :lol:

• RMweb Premium
Then when I was done most asked if the company I got them from done them in oo. Guess you can't always win

Ah, the great unwashed....... it puts a tear in your eye when after providing a detailed explanation, which has been listened to with a rapt expression, they then ask a question which shows they've understood almost nothing of what you've said :blink:

I do like the wintry scenes, you can almost hear the frost and hard snow crunching underfoot. Very unlike the weather around here, where I removed the last ripe mangoes from the tree on the weekend.

Looking forward to more

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Being in the workshop for the weekend after a hard week is not my idea of fun.But this weekend was enjoyable thanks partly to Missy's company and the fact the layout was actually progressing.

As has been sugested on this forum the old backscene boards have been removed and new ones attached 2" taller

the backscene artwork has also been glued on.That took care of Saturday as we had to go shopping for materials in the morning.Full of insperation I returned this morning to touch in the backscene with my air brush.Also today the majority of the woodwork has been done for the light pelmit, can't take all the credit for this as I was ablely assisted, still plenty of tweaking to do thou. lights are now ordered in the form of strip white leds manufactured for the under sides of car cills. If they prove to be no good its no bigie as they cost less than £10 and I could allways customize my van with them(should set off the rust really well) :D.

Enthusiasm is still abound as I only write this while waiting for glue to dry.

It's nice to want to model again after a little low.

post-7093-126919645622_thumb.jpg

Result of weekend work

Mark :D

• RMweb Gold

Mark - That looks fantastic! - a very nice display and good to get a real overall sense of the scope that you set out to achieve - now I really can't wait to see this layout in July.

Pete

Thank you for helping with mine this weekend too.

Missy you done the work I just guided you threw it :)

Nick

Hope the weekend worked out allright i've spent three years trying to get one of my locos running right.

Thanks Pete "see it" I got you down for some running :D

As I said yesterday I am bussy on the layout again this time working on the end of the platform cutting up sea moss and using it to do the overgrown bushes the whole area will eventually be over run but this is proving to be a bit time consuming.

post-7093-126929182163_thumb.jpg

post-7093-126929187794_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Witney is progressing well. The end of the station is almost complete and awaiting it,s frosty topping the bigest job left to do is the fence and trees lining the road but as a side track the last few days I have been teaching myself autocad.So far i have managed to draw the frames for a double frame goods engine, redrawn the stable block and yesterday drew up a small M R cattle wagon.

This morning I had a play with the wifes Robocutter thing and found a setting that let me cut threw the card rather well and after cutting have started assembling the sides and ends.

post-7093-127045702889_thumb.jpg

Always looking for views of those lovely red locos you make. Which of the "Robocutter thingeys" does your wife use? And was it styrene you cut through?

Hi

The cutter is the original Quickutz silhouette digital craft cutter.No styrene sheet used this is cut in card about .3mm thick and when glued together it was given a coat of thin super glue.

post-7093-127046190774_thumb.jpg

Mark impressive care to share the plan ....

Sorry no real plans I gave up on world dommination when I got married, just seeing what i can do really. I find smaller rolling stock cute and the cattle wagons I had looked to big also would like to build some L M S beer wagons sometime.

Mark B)

Hi

Really been trying to push this cutter to its limits today and I think i'm pretty well there.As I have allready said I want to build a rake of L M S beer wagons so drawing done I gave it a go.

The planking is.75mm wide with.4mm gaps all cut into .25mm card, this proved to be as thick as I could use and still cut cleanly threw.

Think I will add an extra layer in as it feels a bit flimsy still.

Extremely cruel close up.

post-7093-127065755157_thumb.jpg

Archived