The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Oh Mr.Porter.... on TV

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Next train's gone.

That is almost a truism from the real world.  The number of people who asked what time the next trains was and when told then asked what time the previous one was became. a major irritant to me years ago.  i remember one Booking Clerk at Slough who had the perfect answer along the lines of 'Why does it matter, you've missed it anyway' but frequently put less politely than that).

• Like 2

I like the bit where Gladstone very nearly runs them down just before she flattened their pocket watches - the scene didn't go quite as planned apparently, and they had to leap out of the way somewhat sharper than intended!

Edited by Coppercap

I like the bit where Gladstone very nearly runs them down just before she flattened their pocket watches - the scene didn't go quite as planned apparently, and they had to leap out of the way somewhat sharper than intended!

That is what struck me about the scene.

The villain with an eye-patch was supposed to act nasty with the appropriate expression, but when Will Hay handed him the tickets to punch on the journey, he must have thought he was off-camera afterwards as he started to laugh during the following scene where Will flagged the train off.

I'll watch the remainder of the movie tonight after her indoors has gone to bed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My programme guide says 11.15, tuning in for 12.15 means you will miss the start again. Don't forget the clocks go forward an hour as well on sunday morning.

The Sky programme guide states 12.15 but looking at the Sky planner seems to indicate at starts at 11.15! I hope the clever Sky box sorts it out.

Thank you for the information. I really don't want to miss it again.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

The films on Talking Pictures have often been restored to a very high standard.  I've got OMP on dvd but I'll have a look at the broadcast version to see if there's any difference.

It's a shame Will Hay died at a relatively young age.

"You're wasting your time!" Indeed I could be, there's a huge amount of watchable stuff on TP.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

"Every night when the moon gives light,

the miller's ghost is seen

He walks the track

with a sack on his back..."

"...and his earhole painted green!"

Trivia time:

Will Hay was an amateur astronomer and discovered a great white spot on Saturn*.

Moore Marriot kept a grocer's store in Bognor Regis.

Graham Moffat was hospitalised after two weeks of hiccuping.

*pity it wasn't Uranus.

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 1