Alternative main line terminus in OO

jamespetts

The people building my baseboards are making some progress: the baseboards for the N gauge layout are due to be delivered just after Easter, and work on the baseboards for this layout will start shortly afterwards.

I am still not entirely sure which of the two to start first, since track types that I need both for this and the N gauge layout are not yet available (in this case of this layout, the Peco Bullhead slips), but the latter might be temporarily substituted for Streamline track, and I suspect that this layout may be easier to build since it does not rely on any kit-built track.

I have started a topic about building the layout, but, since this is a track planning related post, I thought that it might be sensible to put it here.

I thought that it might be sensible to plan the locations of the uncouplers and the occupancy section breaks (bearing in mind that this layout is intended for fully automated running using TrainController).

The thick purple lines represent isolation breaks for occupancy sections. Isolation breaks on turnouts are not shown, but assume that all turnouts are fully isolated (i.e., every rail on the exit of ever turnout is to be isolated) so that each turnout is in its own occupancy section.

The dots represent uncouplers; black dots represent permanent magnet uncouplers and red dots active uncouplers. These are for Kadee couplings. I provisionally plan to use servo controlled permanent magnets for these, but I will need to test how well that this works. A possible alternative is to use electromagnets, but these can cause problems (including being a fire risk due to the extent to which they heat up) and I should prefer to avoid them where possible.

The plan is below

Main%20line%20terminus%20alternative%20f

I should be grateful for any thoughts on the placement of the uncouplers or section breaks, especially from anyone with experience of automation. I recommend zooming in on the plan to see the dots and lines clearly.

Edited by jamespetts

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, jamespetts said:

I should be grateful for any thoughts on the placement of the uncouplers or section breaks, especially from anyone with experience of automation. I recommend zooming in on the plan to see the dots and lines clearly.

Hi James

Hadnt realised you had started a layout thread......you have a new follower.

It would be easier for me to comment on the block structure if you could post a shot of the proposed TC switchboard.

Ideally the switchboard(s) should be set up before you lay track. I use the plural because with a layout of that size I imagine you would have at least three switchboards

I know that you will not be operating TC for some time and it makes sense to phase expenditure. However its my understanding that the demo version time constraints only apply when you are hooked up to the layout and actually operating. So it should be possible to set up the station switchboard, for instance, using the demo version.

Not sure what your plans are in regard to profiling? Each loco has to be profiled......takes about 45 minutes and its akin to watching paint dry. You need three straight blocks....no curves no turnouts. My start and finish blocks are each 30" long and the centre profiling block is 72". Its a separate set up mounted below the layout. If you can I would suggest you do something similar......far more efficient than profiling on the layout. 

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

John,

thank you for that: that is most helpful. I already have a full version of TrainController from when I set up my automation test layout last year. I had not planned to design the switchboards in TrainController before actually installing the layout, however. Is this important? It will take some time to do this, as you may imagine. I had thought that it would be easier to set this up when I have all the block sections physically in place so that I can add measurements, addresses of hardware, etc.. May I ask what the reason is that you think it important to do this the other way around?

As to profiling, I did not plan on having a separate profiling track; the longer fiddle yard tracks are probably sufficient for these purposes, are they not? I would generally plan to profile locomotives when I have something else to do in the shed, such as work on renumbering locomotives or carriages, DCC fitting, building a kit or even just watching YouTube videos. There will not be space below the layout, as I plan to have a separate N gauge layout on a lower level.

Thank you again for your feedback - this is most helpful.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

John,

thank you for that: that is most helpful. I already have a full version of TrainController from when I set up my automation test layout last year. I had not planned to design the switchboards in TrainController before actually installing the layout, however. Is this important? It will take some time to do this, as you may imagine. I had thought that it would be easier to set this up when I have all the block sections physically in place so that I can add measurements, addresses of hardware, etc.. May I ask what the reason is that you think it important to do this the other way around?

As to profiling, I did not plan on having a separate profiling track; the longer fiddle yard tracks are probably sufficient for these purposes, are they not? I would generally plan to profile locomotives when I have something else to do in the shed, such as work on renumbering locomotives or carriages, DCC fitting, building a kit or even just watching YouTube videos. There will not be space below the layout, as I plan to have a separate N gauge layout on a lower level.

Thank you again for your feedback - this is most helpful.

If you have already invested in Gold it makes sense to use it now. As you already know it is a steep learning curve.

Setting up the switchboards with the block and route structure will enable you to develop and run schedules using the simulator. It will enable you and others (certainly me) to more readily identify potential problems before physically cutting the track to create the isolated sections.

I would have thought that to set up the switchboards when the entire layout was set up and only then enter the addresses etc would be very cumbersome. I would have thought it more efficient to transpose your track plan into switchboards and enter the connection detail of each turnout and block as you install it. Testing each turnout and occupancy detector at the time of installation on the track, dcc controller and train controller.

If you have to use the fiddle yard for profiling I would try and have blocks near the front that are easily accessible and visible.......particularly for the brake tests. I have padded buffers  at each end of my track and the locos need them!  ie 30" is not really long enough for a run off so you would need to allow for robust buffers at one end and a clear run out at the other or maybe a temporary buffer

Regards

John

• 5 months later...