Guest Bishoptrains

Luke very nice weathering on your coal tower looks just right and I like the small detailing such as the pallet boards and sleepers great work mate..;)

Well today is the bug day for the layout. Hopefully everything is finished. I haven't had time to give the layout a proper photo shoot yet so there are probably lots of little bits that are missing scenery but I can easily sort them out. I've just realized that I've not made a window yet foe the colliery shed. Eek! I will have to make one when I get home later. I still need to work out how I'm going to package up all the stock etc but if I cant find a solution, they will all just go in their boxes. Here's a picture of that sign/info board that I made last night. It's been glued onto the wooden board which hides the fiddle yard.post-32204-0-24428800-1524639374_thumb.jpg When I ws operating the layout last night I realized how useful a shelf life would be in the fiddle yard so I will try to make one up in the near future if i can find the time. Also, this morning I glued some painted plasticard onto the base of the coal loading tower so to hide the jenga blocks and other bits of wood which hold the whole thing up. I'll get some more pictures up for you showing the layout packed away ready for transport to the model railway club. post-32204-0-57414700-1524639533_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Luke brilliant modelling on your layout great weathering and scenery. The attention to detail in the little items within the layout bring it to life. Fantastic work as always Luke.:)

Hi Luke brilliant modelling on your layout great weathering and scenery. The attention to detail in the little items within the layout bring it to life. Fantastic work as always Luke.:)

Thanks Shildon Shunter. The layout was very well received last night and everyone liked the working coaling tower. I've got some paper work to sort out and fill in but I'm now one step closer to getting this layout on the exhibition circuit.

It has been great to see this layout progress. I really like the little scenic cameos that help to bring the model to life. Did you manage to solve the running problems with the smaller locos?

I hope you don’t mind me pointing out that there are a few typos on your information sheet which you may want to correct before you go to any exhibitions.

It has been great to see this layout progress. I really like the little scenic cameos that help to bring the model to life. Did you manage to solve the running problems with the smaller locos?

I hope you don’t mind me pointing out that there are a few typos on your information sheet which you may want to correct before you go to any exhibitions.

Thanks Andryman. I did manage to solve most of the running problems. The track was beyond filthy but my trusty track rubber wasn't making a difference. I ended up cleaning the track with scrap card and that did the track. I've never had that problem before and not used any new materials on the layout either. Thanks for pointing out the typos. I noticed one at the top. Any others?

Thanks Andryman. I did manage to solve most of the running problems. The track was beyond filthy but my trusty track rubber wasn't making a difference. I ended up cleaning the track with scrap card and that did the track. I've never had that problem before and not used any new materials on the layout either. Thanks for pointing out the typos. I noticed one at the top. Any others?

Cronton is spelt Croton about halfway down and March has an extra capital letter and is spelt MArch. Those are the others I spotted.

Well this post isn't exactly about Cronton Colliery Sheds but I though I'd post it in here before I make a new thread. I've decided to develop a concept I've already explored with one of my other layouts, Pastry Lane. The concept behind that was to make a layout that could be small enough to take on a train. It worked in theory and I don't think it will work in practice. So I plan to redesign and build a new version of it though with quite a few differences. I wont go into lots of detail about it but I have made a rail bender and have been bending rails. Here is a picture of the homemade rail bender. post-32204-0-73113000-1524844846_thumb.jpg I've got to order and wait for a few things to come from eBay so I will probably start a thread and some progress on it next week. Until then I will still be active on the forum but wont really be reporting any progress on any layouts.

Right time for some more stuff to do with Cronton Colliery Sheds. Right, once I order some stuff for that new layout it will get its own thread. I dont plan to post any more stuff on it in this topic. In one of the pictures of Cronton Colliery, I noticed a reliant robin in the back ground. A quick search on google showed up that oxford diecast make one in oo gauge for a fiver. Not a bad price really but I want to try something out - scratch building a road vehicle. I've scratch built wagons, buildings, track, locos (though not the chassis) and lots of detailing parts so I would quite like to be able to say that I have scratch built a road vehicle. Another quick search on google produced these 2 sets of drawings:post-32204-0-87233400-1525022042.jpgpost-32204-0-02579100-1525022054.gif I'd like to just state this now that I am no car expert by any means and I know nothing about any different variations or models so I will just stick to the drawings I have found. I am attempting to create a scale model of one but even if I can convey the basic shape and car in my model I will be proud. It wont be a particularly elegant model but it doesn't really need to be. I plan to place it behind the loco shed so it won't be in direct view of and viewers. Thanks for looking everyone. :)

Looking good, a shelf is very important or you don't have anywhere for your cup of tea or in my case chocolate milkshake lol.

The reliant will be an interesting project, I used to own a micro car, easy to park but hopeless power, fun to drive though as everyone says "what's that thing".

Will you be using plastic card and modelling putty?

Jerry.

Looking good, a shelf is very important or you don't have anywhere for your cup of tea or in my case chocolate milkshake lol.

The reliant will be an interesting project, I used to own a micro car, easy to park but hopeless power, fun to drive though as everyone says "what's that thing".

Will you be using plastic card and modelling putty?

Jerry.

I plan to use 10 thou plastikard for the body with 1mm plastikard for the base of the car.

So some progress with the RR (I'm going to abbreviate the reliant robin to RR for simplicity and so that I'm not typing out reliant robin every sentence). I have scaled down the drawings that I have found online and printed them off. I made some spares just in case some go wrong. Here's a pic of them got off the press.post-32204-0-55303000-1525071593_thumb.jpg These were then cut out. The base drawing/template was glued down onto some 1 mm plasticard. The other drawings were glued onto 10 thou plasikard which is quite thin but fairly strong. For the glue I considered using pritt stick but then I thought the better of it and used super glue which I quite runny from pound land.post-32204-0-00265600-1525071720_thumb.jpg Now I've got to cut out the windows then cut out the individual parts. Looking at how the project has gone so far, I reckon that its possible to make the RR out of card . Thanks for looking. :)

Right time for some more stuff to do with Cronton Colliery Sheds. Right, once I order some stuff for that new layout it will get its own thread. I dont plan to post any more stuff on it in this topic. In one of the pictures of Cronton Colliery, I noticed a reliant robin in the back ground. A quick search on google showed up that oxford diecast make one in oo gauge for a fiver. Not a bad price really but I want to try something out - scratch building a road vehicle. I've scratch built wagons, buildings, track, locos (though not the chassis) and lots of detailing parts so I would quite like to be able to say that I have scratch built a road vehicle. Another quick search on google produced these 2 sets of drawings:attachicon.gifReliant Robin LIMITED to 500px1.jpgattachicon.gifC__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_28ulmbp.gif I'd like to just state this now that I am no car expert by any means and I know nothing about any different variations or models so I will just stick to the drawings I have found. I am attempting to create a scale model of one but even if I can convey the basic shape and car in my model I will be proud. It wont be a particularly elegant model but it doesn't really need to be. I plan to place it behind the loco shed so it won't be in direct view of and viewers. Thanks for looking everyone. :)

T the risk of being pedantic, this looks more like the Rialto. The original Robin was a much prettier design from the Ogle studio.

The name Robin has been reapplied to create a mk 111 but this would only be correct on modern image post coalfield layouts.

Even more correct, would be Del Boys Regal van. In perfect near showroom condition. Whilst many older miners never bothered with learning to drive, younger ones, often encouraged by girlfriends, traded their motorcycles / scooters for a brand new Reliant which could be driven on their existing licence.

On our side of the Pennines, a "Michael's of Selby" sticker probably adorned the rear window.

In my own case a second hand Bond Bug filled the gap between Lambretta and Spitfire.

I have no idea, it could well be. After a couple of days of progress I have cut out all the pieces (windows included). This took quite a bit of time but it was worth it. post-32204-0-53059500-1525280288_thumb.jpg Next I began glueing all the parts together. I haven't got a picture of that yet but I will upload one in the next update. I haven't got much time thanks to exams but they'll be all over in 6 weeks when afterwards I can start my new home layout. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 2

I haven't got ant real progress to show you but I have been able to do a photo shoot of the the layout out in the sun. I dont have any fancy lighting equipment so I took advantage of the sun and a white sheet to get some nice photos. I didn't use a fancy camera just a basic digital one. Anyway, here are some of the pictures. I tried to show off a variety of stock but I have only decided to share some of my favorites. Apart from the black and white photos, non of the photos have been edited.post-32204-0-02795700-1525635578_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-05843700-1525635595_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-52566800-1525635613_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-04748900-1525635639_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-47488900-1525635661_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-19763100-1525635678_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-67055200-1525635699_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-02795700-1525635578_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-05843700-1525635595_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-52566800-1525635613_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-04748900-1525635639_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-47488900-1525635661_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-19763100-1525635678_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-67055200-1525635699_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Luke brilliant photos mate a super little layout with loads going on your attention to the little bits of detailing such as pallets and other trackside items is great.:)

• 3 weeks later...