Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan Class 47 Lighting.

CUTLER2579

HELP!  

I have just changed the normal gears in an unused Heljan Class 47.It now runs smoothly and I am feeling quite pleased with myself. Before stripping it sown I checked that it was working OK. I neglected to check the directional lighting being obsessed by the noise from the gears. Now that I have reassembled and tested the Loco I discovered that in the forward position it runs with Red lights showing at the leading end and white lights to the rear and this happens in both directions.I could alter the wiring,but that seems rather tedious if I have made a stupid mistake with the Plugs on the PCB board although as I left the lighting circuits alone and only disconnected the two centre plugs each side that seems most unlikely. I do wonder if it had always been like that,but I doubt that. Any help will be most appreciated.

HELP!  

I have just changed the normal gears in an unused Heljan Class 47.It now runs smoothly and I am feeling quite pleased with myself. Before stripping it sown I checked that it was working OK. I neglected to check the directional lighting being obsessed by the noise from the gears. Now that I have reassembled and tested the Loco I discovered that in the forward position it runs with Red lights showing at the leading end and white lights to the rear and this happens in both directions.I could alter the wiring,but that seems rather tedious if I have made a stupid mistake with the Plugs on the PCB board although as I left the lighting circuits alone and only disconnected the two centre plugs each side that seems most unlikely. I do wonder if it had always been like that,but I doubt that. Any help will be most appreciated.

Will he plugs fit in another direction? Mine did on my class 20- easy mistake to make.

Dougal

Will he plugs fit in another direction? Mine did on my class 20- easy mistake to make.

Dougal

Dougal,

The plugs will only go in one way but  I only disconnected the plugs for the Motors and the Track. If it was possible swapping the lighting plugs over would be a solution, however the wires are not long enough to allow this.I could always extend the wires to do this,but that will be a last resort as I want to keep the Loco standard if I can.Thanks for taking the time to reply and as you say it would have been an easy  mistake to have made.Regards,Derek   (Perplexed of Grantham). 

I don't want to sound silly, but is the body on the right way around?

I've done plenty of Heljan locos, DCC, DCC sound, etc, but never a class 47, so not sure of the wiring layout.

Jinty ;)

Jinty

that is not silly at all,but unfortunately the wires to the lights prevent this idiot from doing that. Otherwise it would have been a distinct   possibility      probability.    :jester: 

Regards ,Del.     

Thanks to everybody who responded,but I bit the bullet and decided to extend the light leads.

However once I had unplugged the 4 leads I discovered that they were just long enough to be plugged into the other sockets and still reach. Now it's running forward with White lights showing to the front and Red lights showing to the rear.

I am still unclear as to how this problem arose. I am inclined to think it had always been like this but I had not been observant enough to notice because of my disgust over a brand new locomotive having a defective gear.

Still all's well that ends well as they say.

Regards,Derek.