RMweb

Blog- RandyWales' - chapter & worse - Crate Expectations at the Cardiff Exhibition.

? I always try to make the effort to visit the Cardiff October exhibition, but I was lucky to make it this year, as I haven't been too well these past few days. With the moths eager to stretch their wings, I left a rain-sodden (again!) Swansea for the equally damp small hamlet that is Cardiff.

Please bear in mind that I am writing this immediately after watching the Blues v Ospreys match, and those who know the result will realise that I bear no grudges.

As usual, there were some outstanding exhibits, and the quality of the fayre on show was well worth the entrance fee.

I have to give a special commendation to the absolutley delightful Totnes (2mm John Birkett-Smith). This is another fine example of the genre "railway in the landscape".

Another right up there, was Rowland's Castle (4mm Peter Goss).

I was really impressed by the "military presence" in the picturesque village, and it is testament to Peter's modelling ability that I really struggled to ? identify which of the (well over 100?) military figures on the layout had been used more than once. The relaxing sound of birdsong, and the voice of Vera Lynn singing "We'll Meet Again" really took me back to the....hang on a minute...I'm not that old!

My primary objective for the day (besides exercising the moths) was to introduce myself to fellow RMWebber Marc Smith of Hendre Lane Stabling Point fame.

Marc's work is inspiring, and he has kindly left words of encouragement on my Maenol Mine thread, so I was keen to see Bracty Bridge in the flesh, and speak to the man himself. And what a thoroughly nice guy he is. After a brief chat, I stood back and watched while Marc showed a young lad, of about five years, how to use the DCC controller to operate the layout. Stood on a chair in front of the layout, the youngster's face was a joy to behold as he was allowed to sound the horn on the Class 37. I was astounded, though, when the young lad asked which function button switched the lights on and off. He'd obviously done this before.

I had an excellent eye level view of Bracty Bridge if I stood on tippy-toes, although I was almost tempted to ask if I could stand on the chair too (being of a similar stature to Jack Dee).

Compared to me, Marc and his son Ollie(?) are quite ? very tall, but even they were made to look quite very insignificant in stature by the friendly giant who was helping operate Brackty Bridge.

However, the glee on this man's face matched that of the young boy as he announced to Marc that he had just run a consist of four wagons plus loco across the layout - a record.

Another memorable moment for me was the fact that I pointed out to Marc that his sky backscene was all wrong - it always rains in Wales - and Bracty Bridge was all fluffy clouds and blue sky. Marc turned me to the window of the exhibition hall and....at that moment in time, the sky over Cardiff was.... all fluffy clouds and blue sky.

The man had captured the moment impeccably.

I headed back to Swansea, and yes, Marc ...it WAS still raining!

View the full article

Archived