Gaugemaster Controllers

peteskitchen

This is recommended for common return.

If you think of voltage as Potential difference rather than absolute (for want of a better term), then the output of each coil is a 'floating' 16v.

Consider the scenario of the controllers running in opposite directions.

Switching to absolute voltages & defining the common return as 0v, then you effectively have 12v, 0v ground (the common rail). The other controller would be 0v (common rail) -12v (ground). The grounds have different absolute voltages.

If you power them from the same coil, then the ground for each circuit would have to be the same.

If you are not going to use common return then it should not matter, but Gaugemaster need to cover themselves for whatever an operator wants to do, especially as the majority of modellers are not qualified electricians & have varying levels of understanding.

That does not look very clear, but is the best way I can think of to describe it in a few sentences.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

Thank you. I do kind of understand what you're saying. I thought that the bridge rectifier in each controller would stop and current getting to the transformer but I'm no expert in that field. I might have a look inside a Gaugemaster controller that has a built in transformer to see if the actual controller circuits are the same as the panel mounted ones.

Your understanding of a rectifier is not correct.

Do not open up the transformer / controller.

Accept what Pete has said.  If using common return, and most people do, a separate transformer is required for each controller.

The Gaugemaster transformer / controllers with two track outputs have separate transformer windings for each controller, so they are similar to 2 transformers and 2 controllers.