Geismar Track machine outriggers

ChrisH-UK

One of my big interests is On-track Plant. I've been planning a model of the Geismar unit for more than 20 years but one thing that has always perplexed me has been the outriggers under it.

Under the non-driving end it appears that some kind of rail handling device swings out. Originally I thought it was some kind of stabiliser for the crane but if you look at the white part closest to the buffer and jumper on the right hand side it looks like the wheel goes one side of the rail, the rail fits in the slot behind it and out of sight is a second wheel.

post-18671-0-41571100-1523387142.png

Under the cab end I have no clue what it is or how it works, I can't even figure out how it unfolds (does any part pass under the bottom of the ladder at any point?)

post-18671-0-08777200-1523388380.png

Can anyone shed any light on it?

Both images are used with permission of Martyn Read, larger versions can be found here

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Allinthedetails/Wagons-and-OTP/ZWA-Geismar-GP-TRAMM-DR98303/i-sjVV36J/O

and here

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Allinthedetails/Wagons-and-OTP/ZWA-Geismar-GP-TRAMM-DR98303/i-QnhkLwm/O

Thanks

Chris H

Whereabouts are they on the Plasser units? I've noticed something under the cabs of some, but not all. Maybe it stands out more on the Geismar machine.

It is only on the mark 3 Plasser machines at the front (see below).

post-1373-0-37330600-1523462952_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

For positioning plant rails at10'

Allowed gantries to run for relaying, could also reposition to 4' or anywhere within reach.

Plasser machines had additional gear along the power unit associated with the rp gear to further position the rails.

Kev S

Ex operator