Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Recommendation for headphones to watch TV

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

We have fairly recent Samsung smart TV in the bedroom.

The Head of Household would like me to get some headphones so she can nod off if she doesn't want to watch the same as me.

Ideally I'm looking for something £100 or below, easy to install/use,  ie plug something into the TV and not have a wire from TV to headphone. 

Am not looking for hi-spec just something that's reasonable price and reasonable quality.

Preferably not Sony as they seem to have an annoying feature of switching off after 5 mins to save battery (and yes there are workarounds but the current ones seem to reset themselves randomly).

Do you already own a smart phone with some form of headset?  Your new Samsung TV will be able to 'pair' with a Smartphone - usually to view/hear what you are looking at on your phone as the source of the TV signal.  It makes me wonder if this feature will work the other way too.

Check whether your TV supports Bluetooth.  It probably does. Then any Bluetooth headset *should* work.

See here.

• RMweb Premium

The problem with recommending headphones is they're such a personal thing and unlike other audio-visual equipment you wear the things so comfort is important. And comfort is a very personal, subjective thing. How a pair of headphone sounds is irrelevant if you can't stand wearing them. Sound does vary significantly between headphones and how they're set up, particularly bass. Some headphones (such as Beats) I find to be intolerably bass heavy and quite awful but plenty of others clearly like exaggerated bass. For £100 you will get headphones with very good sound and build quality, which you prefer will be down to personal choice. Good shops will have demo headphones you can try before buying. Any of the major brands will be very good at that price point, brands to look for include Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Sony, KEF, Pioneer, Shure and Grado. Look around and you can find some big discounts so your £100 may buy you something from higher up the food chain that you might think. At one time I'd have recommended Sennheiser as a default but in recent times I find they're selling on their name (particularly the cheaper models) and think Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica and Sony have been producing some terrific models.

• RMweb Premium

Google Sennheiser RS120 from about £60 depending where you shop.

Used a pair for about 5years and just updated them for a higher spec for listening to music

Terry

• RMweb Gold

The problem with recommending headphones is they're such a personal thing and unlike other audio-visual equipment you wear the things so comfort is important. And comfort is a very personal, subjective thing. How a pair of headphone sounds is irrelevant if you can't stand wearing them. Sound does vary significantly between headphones and how they're set up, particularly bass. Some headphones (such as Beats) I find to be intolerably bass heavy and quite awful but plenty of others clearly like exaggerated bass. For £100 you will get headphones with very good sound and build quality, which you prefer will be down to personal choice. Good shops will have demo headphones you can try before buying. Any of the major brands will be very good at that price point, brands to look for include Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Sony, KEF, Pioneer, Shure and Grado. Look around and you can find some big discounts so your £100 may buy you something from higher up the food chain that you might think. At one time I'd have recommended Sennheiser as a default but in recent times I find they're selling on their name (particularly the cheaper models) and think Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica and Sony have been producing some terrific models.

Tks but shops are few and far between in west Wales, let alone audio ones, hence the need for recommendations! Sony is a non-starter as per OP, but tks for info re Sennheiser as I was starting to wonder if they weren't as good as they were.

• RMweb Premium

Phillips did a set of two headphones and a base sender unit thingy, that I bought my mum and dad for Christmas, seems to work well and was recommended by my father in law in France who is a tad mutton in one ear.

Sadly can't remember much more other than they were called Twinset.

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Tks but shops are few and far between in west Wales, let alone audio ones, hence the need for recommendations! Sony is a non-starter as per OP, but tks for info re Sennheiser as I was starting to wonder if they weren't as good as they were.

If you want to avoid Sony (I must admit that I rate Sony headphones highly, my noise cancelling headphones are Sony and combine superb noise cancelling, good sound and strong build quality) then I'd check out Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser, maybe Denon too as some of the Denon models are superb.

• RMweb Premium

Probably beyond what you are planning to spend, but I have a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones I use to watch TV when the wife is in bed. I also use them wirelessly to listen to music stored on my phone. The noise cancelling works very well, sound quality is good and there is no sound leakege.

• RMweb Premium

On noise leakage, that's a good thing to consider. If it is important to avoid noise leakage then you need closed back headphones, not open back. Many people prefer open back headphones as they often have a more natural sound and avoid the sensation of having music pumped into your head sometimes associated with some (less good) closed back designs however anybody else in the room will also be able to hear whatever it is you're listening to. Some closed back models include vents to avoid some of the disadvantages of closed back designs whilst avoiding most noise leakage, such designs leak more than a fully closed design but should be reasonable enough for most people and do avoid some of the pressure sensation of completely closed models.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the help guys I've gone with these from Cowin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JLIY9LM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Note Amazon price changes every time I log on)

Solid back as per suggestions, and Bluetooth as suggested (pairing with Samsung TV is a doddle every time I switch on).  Have had 4 nights use variously playing dvd's and recorded progs on Freeview box.   On scouring the interweb, good after sales service from Cowin came up a couple of times - hopefully I won't need it but.........