Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lighting conversion

Shaun Waters

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm new to all this and am wanting to add lights ( head and tail ) to a couple of class 43's.

I have attached a pic showing the connection points on the main board, ( this is where the lights seem to be connected on others I have ).

Can anyone please identify which connections I should use ?

I probably could just mess around with a multimeter but would rather not risk any damage if possible !

Sorry if I've put this in the wrong place !

Shaun Waters.post-34085-0-29037000-1524590397_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby hst already has head and tail lights? The connections are at the front of the chassis with sprung connectors into the cab moulding which sits in the bodyshell

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your input but this is a real hybrid that I am putting together from bits that probably wouldn't normally go together.

I'll just get the multimeter out and cross my fingers !

Many thanks,   Shaun.

• RMweb Gold

OK guys...........

Dooooohhhhh !

So I got out the lighting board I was going to use ( X9871 ) and there are 3 solder points on there ( Ground, Red, and White ) and they are numbered to correspond with the connector on the main board !

Of course I spotted this when I had identified them using the Egyptian method and a small LED.

Anyway it's on record if anyone is daft enough to attempt the type of conversion I am doing here !

It's great being new to this, you attempt things that experienced guys wouldn't go anywhere near ( or would know how to do it properly ).

I was old when I started this, now I'm a bit older and a bit wiser !

Cheers, Shaun

I refuse to ask what the Egyptian method is.

My experience of Egyptian electrics is they poke wires in until it either works or they electrocute themselves....Fun to watch from a distance though.

Rob

My experience of Egyptian electrics is they poke wires in until it either works or they electrocute themselves....Fun to watch from a distance though.

Rob

Lovely Rob,

A level of racism equivalent to the Duke of Edinburgh's "wired by an Indian" but he has the excuse of being 96 years old and a bit odd.

John K

• Like 1