Complete Failure at fitting smokebox darts Hornby Black 5

Success at last, I ought perhaps to edit the title.  :)

The cure was provided by someone with considerable experience with RTR models, a dedicated work-space, perfect lighting, magnifying goggles, and a high level of dexterity, and he used forefinger and thumb of left hand to grasp the handles assembly and right hand to hold the engine vertically, with elbow on bench.

The handles would go to place with handles at the correct 25 mins/30 mins  'clock face' orientation, and even stay in place, but would fall out with the slightest touch, ended up back on the bench twice, and were fitted with the tiniest amount of Tamiya poly glue on the stub, applied with a brush.

So no unusual tools, no drilling out, just a careful and well-executed repeat of the assembly done at the factory, but with perhaps a stronger glue join.

I'm sure there are more ways to do this job than what has been done, but for me it simply was too fiddly, and I would like to thank all those who made suggestions. 

Here is the result of dexterity, good light, magnifying goggles, and a spot of glue.

Front vac hose and detailing yet to fit.

post-7929-0-65463700-1525572528_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-07845700-1525572547_thumb.jpg

Thanks again to all.

What a lovely model, thankyou Hornby, thankyou Rails, and thankyou dextrous helper!

typo edit

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 7