• RMweb Premium

Hi there

A bit of a shot in the dark here!

I am trying to identify the Railway Modeller edition that contained "Bigbury Bay" as its plan of the month.

I believe it was in the late 70s. The plan was built around the premise that a single track branch was built from the Great Western main line and ran south to a coastal terminus, west of Kingsbridge in the South Hams area of Devon.

Does anyone remember this plan and if they do which magazine it appeared in?

If l can find out was edition this plan appeared in l might be able o find a copy somewhere?

Bit of a long shot l know but l though l d ask

Many thanks in advance

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

January 1975. A Google Search on "Railway Modeller" "Bigbury bay" turned up

http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/railway-modeller-magazine-january-1975-issue.html

Many thanksIan

Interestingly l have tried numerous seaches on Google and never found any hint. I must be doing something wrong!!

Also shows how one's memory can play tricks, as l could have sworn it was late 70s not mid

Thanks again 

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

Did you use the double quotes as above? That forces it to search the phrase "Railway Modeller" otherwise it searches on both railway and modeller

Ian

I don't thing so, but l ll bear it in mind next time l m looking for the impostible. Thanks for your help its much appreciated

Cheers

Bob C

Just got one off Ebay, very happy bunny!

Edited by Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I don't thing so, but l ll bear it in mind next time l m looking for the impostible. Thanks for your help its much appreciated

Cheers

Bob C

Just got one off Ebay, very happy bunny!

I was going to pop into the clubroom tonight to scan the article, as I think we have it in the library.

Seems like your sorted..

Terry

• RMweb Premium

I was going to pop into the clubroom tonight to scan the article, as I think we have it in the library.

Seems like your sorted..

Terry

That's very kind of you to consider that Terry, many thanks,  I should have left it a few days longer before checking on ebay, but strike whilst the iron hot , l thought!

Thanks again Terry

Bob C

• 1 year later...

Well there's a coincidence...... I also remember the article, and indeed have it safely ensconced in my one of my railway files. It is now forming the basis of our club's new layout, using the same name,  which is progressing quite nicely now, after many months work. We have portrayed it as a double track branch line and terminus. When finished it will be about 27' long, with a traverser fiddleyard. 

best to all

exmoordave

• 3 months later...

I had forgotten all about this, though at the time I had thought of it as a possible layout. Now I am reconsidering its possibilities.

However, I think the junction at Ivybridge highly unlikely. There was already a branch to Yealmpton (Part of a plan to keep the LSWR out of the South Hams!). I would have thought it likely that this would have been extended to Modbury (this was it's original destination, but traffic wasn't as plentiful as hoped!) and thence follow the river to Bigbury.

This has the advantage of the Southern having running powers, which was part of the agreement. The LSWR  branch to Turnchapel looked likely to be extended into the South Hams, so the GWR got in first.

The line shares my Birthday, though almost half a century earlier, so I think it quite appropriate. I can stretch a couple of points making the line a success (possibly even extended to Dartmouth as originally intended) and beef up the Bridge over the Laira to take something a bit bigger than an 02. ( I'm not sure of the capacity of this structure, but it is rather spindly looking....)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_to_Yealmpton_Branch

https://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/GreatWestern/Narrowgauge/Yealmpton.html

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

However, I think the junction at Ivybridge highly unlikely.

Agree, as there was already a suitable start with the Kingsbridge line which would have provided the easiest main line connection at  Brent.  Possibly extend it to Modbury and thence to the coast.  A bit of an expense either way but we're talking toy trains here  -  aren't we?!:biggrin_mini:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

I had forgotten all about this, though at the time I had thought of it as a possible layout. Now I am reconsidering its possibilities.

However, I think the junction at Ivybridge highly unlikely. There was already a branch to Yealmpton (Part of a plan to keep the LSWR out of the South Hams!). I would have thought it likely that this would have been extended to Modbury (this was it's original destination, but traffic wasn't as plentiful as hoped!) and thence follow the river to Bigbury.

This has the advantage of the Southern having running powers, which was part of the agreement. The LSWR  branch to Turnchapel looked likely to be extended into the South Hams, so the GWR got in first.

The line shares my Birthday, though almost half a century earlier, so I think it quite appropriate. I can stretch a couple of points making the line a success (possibly even extended to Dartmouth as originally intended) and beef up the Bridge over the Laira to take something a bit bigger than an 02. ( I'm not sure of the capacity of this structure, but it is rather spindly looking....)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_to_Yealmpton_Branch

https://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/GreatWestern/Narrowgauge/Yealmpton.html

There was indeed a plan to extend the line out from Yealmpton to Modbury and beyond. Most, if not all, of the intended route would have gone through land belonging to the Fleet Estate at the time. In the 1970s my Dad's father removed a bundle of very old paperwork from a skip on the Fleet estate, which contained letters addressed to Francis Mildmay, 1st Baron Mildmay of Flete, with a final proposal for the purchase of the land, maps detailing the route and where occupation bridges would be placed to retain access over the land 'divided' by the line. 

Sadly, dad doesn't know what happened to these documents and maps, which really is a travesty. But he remembers very clearly seeing the planned route and letters. I would like to point out granddad wasn't trespassing! At the time, they were having a sale and he was there on the look out for a bargain! 

One plan showed the proposed route to Dartmouth, I believe, with a bridge crossing the river Dart, and making connection with the Kingswear branch. I hate to say it, but it would have been a total waste of time and never financially viable. It just wouldn't generate enough revenue to survive; however, a wonderful subject for a 'might have been' line!

Ivybridge certainly does not lend itself well to junction status and any route from Ivybridge to Modbury would require very significant engineering work - too many hills in the way!

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I gather they went as far as acquiring powers to build the line to Dartmouth, but they were allowed to lapse and required renewal to build the line as far as Yealmpton. It  was not a great success and closed to passenger traffic around 1930 reopening for the duration of the war and closing again in 1947. Final closure in 1960. Perhaps an extension to Bigbury might have stimulated some Holiday traffic.

We had relations who lived near the line at Elburton. Trains were notable by their absence on our visits.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

I gather they went as far as acquiring powers to build the line to Dartmouth, but they were allowed to lapse and required renewal to build the line as far as Yealmpton. It  was not a great success and closed to passenger traffic around 1930 reopening for the duration of the war and closing again in 1947. Final closure in 1960. Perhaps an extension to Bigbury might have stimulated some Holiday traffic.

We had relations who lived near the line at Elburton. Trains were notable by their absence on our visits.

Quite possibly, David. 

The Second World War certainly acted as stimulus for additional freight traffic. My old history teacher always felt that Plymouth Council didn't think very carefully over the location of post-war housing estates in the area. The new estates, which sprung up on the outskirts of the city from 1945-7 onward, didn't have any real transport links. He always felt building 'new' estates along the Yealmpton branch would have been sensible, as the line would have been able to move residents in and out of the city quickly. He always followed it up with, 'people needed houses and fast' and 'it is easy to be critical in hindsight' but I think he had a point. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Agree 1