Western Region "B" Sets : Splitting up of sets

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Could someone please tell me when the Western Regions "B" sets were split up?

I have seen information that suggests some time in the late 1950s but is there an exact date?

Also when the sets were split, did the short inside buffers get converted to standard length or left as they were? I assume that lamp irons were fitted at the same time?

I suspect that they would have received the later BR maroon livery as that point.

I ask as l have acquired a Dapol 0 gauge coach which was ordered as a Brake Third (Dapol 634) and although it arrived in the correctly marked box, it transpired it was a Brake Composite  Dapol 630. 

I suspect some mix up at the factory as the Hatton's web site shows the same situation with Dapol 634  Brake Third description, but the photo of Dapol 630 Brake Composite.

The model l have received is a nice model, it would be a shame if l had to send it back!

Fingers crossed

Bob C

For the avoidance of doubt, I assume that by "B set" you mean the pairs of brake composites that proliferated from the late 1920s onwards.  I say this because in the Midlands Division the expression was applied to four coach non-corridor sets formed brake third, composite, composite, brake third.  The pairs of brake composites were known as D sets there.

Now my understanding is that the earlier B sets - E116, E129, E135, E140 and E145 - were all close coupled and were not separated.  The E147s were built in four lots, of which the first three were close-coupled.   The fourth was equipped with proper buffers at each end.  Some ran singly, the rest as B sets, with some but not all of the sets being split.  The E157s and E167s were all built to run singly but some were formed into sets.   The last batch of E167s was intended to be B sets for Plymouth but most were soon separated.  As far as I know any separations occurred in the 1950s.

Chris 

• RMweb Premium

For the avoidance of doubt, I assume that by "B set" you mean the pairs of brake composites that proliferated from the late 1920s onwards.  I say this because in the Midlands Division the expression was applied to four coach non-corridor sets formed brake third, composite, composite, brake third.  The pairs of brake composites were known as D sets there.

Now my understanding is that the earlier B sets - E116, E129, E135, E140 and E145 - were all close coupled and were not separated.  The E147s were built in four lots, of which the first three were close-coupled.   The fourth was equipped with proper buffers at each end.  Some ran singly, the rest as B sets, with some but not all of the sets being split.  The E157s and E167s were all built to run singly but some were formed into sets.   The last batch of E167s was intended to be B sets for Plymouth but most were soon separated.  As far as I know any separations occurred in the 1950s.

Chris 

Hi Chris

Many thanks for coming to my rescue once again

I believe the version l have is a diagram E140 Brake Composite, and as such was not split, so back to the suppliers it has to go!

Thanks once again Chris

Bob C