RMweb

Bluebell Railway Branch Line Gala

sem34090

An open topic for this upcoming event!

However, I have a question -

Does anyone know which coach set is which? The timetable is marked with letters 'A,B,C & D' for coach sets, but I can't work out which set is which and what coaches are in each one. 'EBV' is presumably a Queen Mary brake van and 'LE' Light Engine, and ECS is obviously empty coaching stock.

Any information would be gratefully received!

• RMweb Gold

An open topic for this upcoming event!

However, I have a question -

Does anyone know which coach set is which? The timetable is marked with letters 'A,B,C & D' for coach sets, but I can't work out which set is which and what coaches are in each one. 'EBV' is presumably a Queen Mary brake van and 'LE' Light Engine, and ECS is obviously empty coaching stock.

Any information would be gratefully received!

The Bluebell website has a very useful and as far as I know unique page which tells you which vehicles will be in which set on any given day, with links to each vehicle's own page: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pti/index.html

Edited by papagolfjuliet

From Bluebell's Public Train Information webpage which currently lists the locos & carriages in use up to Friday 18 May.

• A: 100 seater 1098 and 4 wheeled carriages 114, 661, 3360 & 3188
  • B: Maunsell carriages 1336, 1309 & 6686
  • C: Bullied carriages 1464, 1482, 2526

A post on the National Preservation forum lists set D as the returning Metropolitan Railway carriages plus the L&NWR Observation carriage 1503

Edited by Paul.Uni

Trouble is, the sets don't always remain the same, compare set 'A' on the 12th and 14th, bearing in mind all will change for the weekend (probably).

As for being aimed at kids, so long as there's no peppered bacon (aka Peppa Pig) and no face on their little blue tank engine with short stumpy bits then I'm happy.

• RMweb Premium

Come along for a fun-packed weekend showcasing Bluebell Railway’s small locomotives!

The above is a quote from the BB's website https://www.bluebell-railway.com/whats_on/branch-line-weekend/ . Sounds to me that the target market is kids not railway enthusiasts

Let me assure you the target market for the event is most definitely Enthusiasts (Families probably won't be thrilled at the enforced train changes at HK during most of the day). The Bluebell unfortunately is not the best when it comes to writing press releases.....

Heck we have even got some Great Western thing down for the weekend to entertain them ;)

• Like 1

4 trains in action doesn't sound very "branch line" to me. Should be 4 trains in each direction over about 15 hours to create the atmosphere...

If you want the truly authentic 21st century branch line experience come to Herefordshire and admire the empty trackbeds, filled-in cuttings and abandoned bridge abutments!

I would hardly say that double headers of SECR locomotives on vintage stock is aimed at kids!

It's not especially 'branchline' either, but the point of the gala is more to do with the size of locos and length of trains.

The bluebell have been running a reduced timetable with one-train-working (I think...) throughout the beginning of this year to commemorate the 'sulky' service BR ran when forced to reinstate the line from 1958 - 1960 (or was it '59?).

Trouble is, the sets don't always remain the same, compare set 'A' on the 12th and 14th, bearing in mind all will change for the weekend (probably)

The last entry on the PTI is the Friday of the gala. I also posted a link to a what a Bluebell volunteer has said the carriage sets will be for the weekend.