I then started hunting through boxes of wagons to see what more elderly items could be improved. The Mainline 7-plank opens were an obvious choice. Refitted with Hornby metal wheels, they run much better; filled with suitable resin loads painted by myself, they look the part. Persil, of course, would take sacks...

20221112_124431.jpg.d1c7e861395d0a294bb7d482f1d1992b.jpg

...while Bass and Horlicks were crying out for some wooden barrels (lots of drybrushing required to get the wood effect I wanted!):

20221112_124339.jpg.02d7cc7def289125493262a7e08d4b78.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Black Marlin said:

Finally, I found a fully finished metal load on eBay for only a couple of pounds but which really looks the business in this wagon belonging to the "Patent Nut and Bolt Company Limited".

20221112_124259.jpg.f385d3404d0f891fd3944c4309f31ab4.jpg

Looks similar (possibly same retailer) I used to get scrap wagon loads before! Agree they look great once painted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SRman said:

This is a lovely layout, very nicely done. However, when I saw the name "Girtby Sea", I immediately thought it should be an Australian layout (look up our national anthem! 😅 ).

Well done for identifying the source of the layout's name!

Obviously the layout itself won't be Australian, but given that it will eventually feature approx. 70' of coastline, and that - in keeping with many large Australian layouts - it will be housed in a barn, "Girtby Sea" seemed as good a name as any and better than the others I toyed with!

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Black Marlin said:

Well done for identifying the source of the layout's name!

Obviously the layout itself won't be Australian, but given that it will eventually feature approx. 70' of coastline, and that - in keeping with many large Australian layouts - it will be housed in a barn, "Girtby Sea" seemed as good a name as any and better than the others I toyed with!

Thanks for that. I only recently "discovered" your thread, and I look forward to seeing the further developments as you go. Good luck with the future additions. 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

On 16/08/2023 at 08:38, Black Marlin said:

In other news, I've just placed an order for 700 screws of various sizes and some hot wire foam cutters [...] And while buying rolling stock can feel like an indulgence, buying tools feels like something much more upright, sober and puritanical.

The screws and the cutter arrived yesterday, which was pretty swift given that I paid no delivery charges. I got them from cpc.farnell.com, if that information is of use to anyone. And I paid about half what it would have cost at B&Q. Tomorrow I'll go and get some more battening and see about making a temporary supporting framework for the baseboard so I can work on it in the house.

I suppose I should also confess, after explaining how buying rolling stock feels like an indulgence, that I've just bought a Hornby K1. M'Luds, I offer the following two facts in mitigation:

1. Brand new, and including postage, it was less than £90.
2. It enables me to complete a six-track set. You see, my layout will have seven loops of various sorts (4 mainlines, 2 branchlines, 1 narrow gauge) capable of simultaneous running, and this K1 enables me to operate all six standard-gauge lines with late-crest ER stock. (The trains in question, if you're interested, are as follows: Quayside = Class 03 + loaded lowfits; Down Slow = J39 + Bridge Girder train; Down Fast = DP1 + Tees-Tyne Pullman; Up Fast = V2 + Express [lit maroon BR Mk1s]; Up Slow = K1 + Parcels; Upper Branchline = Class 105).

DelticTees-TynePullman1.JPG.a4465bc3e9c63bb15a2b37284b83134a.JPG

LateBRJ3964838BridgeGirderTrain2.JPG.202f64b79bdde06e19454d71c7bfebc1.JPG

Edited by Black Marlin
Decided to add photographs
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Black Marlin said:

The screws and the cutter arrived yesterday, which was pretty swift given that I paid no delivery charges. I got them from cpc.farnell.com, if that information is of use to anyone.

My ‘go to’ online supplier for a lot of stuff.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1