Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Internal gangway doors in bogie full brakes - correct colours?

Good morning, - now that I am the owner of 2 full brakes - 1 BR MK1  crimson and cream ( Midland region ), and 1 Gresley ex LNER in BR maroon, I am wondering about the colour of the gangway doors - should they be black,( as per finished models  ), or in a wood finish? ( teak? ).

One of the previous versions of Bachmanns BR mk1 that I have seen had brown gangway doors -  and this had a midland region suffix.

I can see that the Gresley full brake might have teak finish gangway doors, - and while I'm here would the internal colours  ( at least that which can be seen ), be natural wood in both brakes, or be painted - and if so in what colours? 

An internet trawl gives mixed results, are all the black finished doors painted that way?

Further to this, the same questions also apply to the Stanier 50' full brake, Stove R, and ex GWR Syphon G all of which have black finished gangway end doors - should some be brown?

Any help gratefully received,

Thanks.

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

Edited by sigtech

Good morning, - now that I am the owner of 2 full brakes - 1 BR MK1  crimson and cream ( Midland region ), and 1 Gresley ex LNER in BR maroon, I am wondering about the colour of the gangway doors - should they be black,( as per finished models  ), or in a wood finish? ( teak? ).

One of the previous versions of Bachmanns BR mk1 that I have seen had brown gangway doors -  and this had a midland region suffix.

I can see that the Gresley full brake might have teak finish gangway doors, - and while I'm here would the internal colours  ( at least that which can be seen ), be natural wood in both brakes, or be painted - and if so in what colours? 

An internet trawl gives mixed results, are all the black finished doors painted that way?

Further to this, the same questions also apply to the Stanier 50' full brake, Stove R, and ex GWR Syphon G all of which have black finished gangway end doors - should some be brown?

Any help gratefully received,

Thanks.

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

I trust someone will shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong - but I think the BR standard colour was light grey ..................... but nobody's going to see them anyway as they're either coupled to another gangway ( rightly or wrongly painted ) or fitted with a gangway cover to keep the rain out !

Id go with matt black. On the internal side it would be an off white colour which would have been scratched and beaten by item inside. The external side of the door would have scuff marks from the draught excluders running horizontally.

Van interiors were, indeed, off white in the 'corporate image' era - but in earlier BR years they were a brown colour.

The LNER vehicle, natural wood colour inside during the steam period. I think originally varnished on the inside, but typically 'beaten up': scraped, stained, dusty. The guard's lock up compartment showed more of the varnished timber treatment, thus my feeling that they were all varnished as constructed. The gangway door exteriors usually discernably varnished wood, often dirty as the use of gangway covers was far from uniform and these vehicles spent much time on one end or the other of trains.