RMweb

Cadeby?

I wonder if anyone has ever modelled Rev. Teddy Boston's Cadeby Light Railway? I would have thought it would be a nice subject for 009. Lots of interesting stock and as it was a short line, potential for a charming little layout.

Hi RevStew.

Funnily enough I was looking at a video of this on youtube a couple of days ago and thought the same thing.

I don't know if anyone has modelled it but it would certainly make a nice layout.

Jerry.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, have a look here: https://www.gardenrails.org/forum/myff/859899/DSCF0020_edited-1.JPG

That should show a full plan of the layout.

Jerry.

In the earlier days at Cadeby (late 60s/early 70s) the track plan was a bit simpler which might make it easier in a very confined space.

At the right hand end there was only the track on the embankment, the storage siding was a later addition, as was the isolated piece of track.

At the left hand end three sidings are shown as engine roads by the vicarage, earlier there was only one.

The building marked "workshop" was a later addition, as was the miniature railway line.

If anyone is interested my photos taken at Cadeby are on flickr  in my Cadeby collection at:   https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/albums/72157626574368116

They might prove useful to anyone contemplating such a model.

I have a lot of happy memories of my visits there, including learning to drive Pixie and helping Teddy take his traction engine Fiery Elias to local rallies.  I also remember using his steam roller, Thistledown, to roll someone's drive.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

Right there is the reason for joining the forum. Ask and lo it shall appear! Cheers guys. 

Goodness knows how Rev. Boston afforded all this stuff. Clergy these days are lucky to get a salary never mind a house! I would love to have met the guy, People like that are all too rare.

Ah yes. I think there are 2 books on the subject. Font to footplate, and the story of the Cadeby light railway. What a lovely subject for a layout. I think it would probably have to be O14, but in a smaller scale 009 would not be far off the mark for the nimble fingered. I wonder what sort of space would be required in either scale? also the issue of crossing the drive to make it a full circuit...perhaps a 'what might have been'

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes. I think there are 2 books on the subject. Font to footplate, and the story of the Cadeby light railway. What a lovely subject for a layout. I think it would probably have to be O14, but in a smaller scale 009 would not be far off the mark for the nimble fingered. I wonder what sort of space would be required in either scale? also the issue of crossing the drive to make it a full circuit...perhaps a 'what might have been'

The only trouble with the "real thing" at Cadeby was that the railway was a lot higher than the drive, as you can see in my flickr photos.

Teddy once told me he would have liked an oval but one problem was that he would never get permission to encroach on the churchyard which was next to the drive.

He would never have asked anyway, he took his duties as a vicar much more seriously than his railway interests.  Dad had known Teddy since shortly after the war so we quite often went to see him during the week when Dad was on holiday, very often we ended up in the church for a short service when Teddy was doing his Daily Office.

I remember the days when there were just Teddy, Dad, Mum and I running his model railway, we often ended up going home in the early hours after watching Teddy's railway films, very different from the busy open weekends.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

DaveF, those must be wonderful memories. Teddy Boston seems to exemplify a life well lived and showed what can be achieved by the determination to create, and having a real passion for what you love, along with the desire to share it with others.

My only reservation about modeling such a subject would be my inability to do such a place justice. It deserves a special treatment.

• RMweb Gold

He would never have asked anyway, he took his duties as a vicar much more seriously than his railway interests. 

I am sure that is true. But there was that occasion (before Cadeby) when he was firing on the Wisbech & Upwell only to see a funeral cortege arrive at the Church -- where he was due to conduct the funeral.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't bother with OO9 it's too small, fiddly and frustrating for me.

O16.5 is best compromise fine indoors but perhaps also 'outside' in an 'Alpine' greenhouse amongst real plants, and out of the great British climate which bu99ers so many running sessions. :no: 

Although 16mm is even better and would make an emulation of Cadeby in the average garden a feasible option, muddled in an inverted U with terminal points at Back door and Dining/Lounge window.

A garden railway at 16mm sounds expensive and it can be; but it can also be 10 lengths of Mamod track and a set of points laid onto path edgings laid flat between four or five chunks of stone and an abandoned item or two of Mamod stock emulating, with suitable inscale planting, your own take on an abandoned treacle mine adit.