"Leaking" lights, any tips?

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent the lighting, be it headlights or interior lights, from "leaking" through the plastic? I'm having this issue with my Hornby Class 50 and Kernow/Bachmann 4-TC, but whatever tips you might have could come in handy in the future.

Also, I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent the lighting, be it headlights or interior lights, from "leaking" through the plastic? I'm having this issue with my Hornby Class 50 and Kernow/Bachmann 4-TC, but whatever tips you might have could come in handy in the future.

Also, I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

Remove the lighting/cab interiors on the 50 and use Black paint inside the front cab area and also carefully inside the lighting holes should help, Another option is to reduce the brightness of the lights using extra in-line resistors in the circuits. Same would apply with the 4-TC although I'm not that familiar with these.  AFAIA light leakage is not usually a problem with Hornby 50's unlike Vi Trains models, especially when the lighting is upgraded, the translucent plastic becomes a problem. 

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 1

I don't know if my 50 is what we in Sweden call a "Monday example" but the little handle, or whatever it is, underneath the headlights also light up when I turn them on.

On the 4-TC the light seems to leak from every panel line, every door, and also a little from the sides in general. It's a beautiful model, but the lighting might be a bit too strong. The entire cabs actually also light up when you turn the head- and taillights on.

I don't know if my 50 is what we in Sweden call a "Monday example" but the little handle, or whatever it is, underneath the headlights also light up when I turn them on.

>> The recess under the headlights I believe is a foot step, all the same it shouldn't light up !  

This photo is a good example of how it should look with the forward lights on

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Hornby+class+50+lights&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=OLVE2MHeX2zj3M%253A%252Ca_yCLc5LvJOaCM%252C_&usg=__F8K-ZSEkY6wZowJNQtkWtv4naPo%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiateWxy8nbAhWpAsAKHYGBClsQ9QEIRTAE#imgrc=OLVE2MHeX2zj3M:

On the 4-TC the light seems to leak from every panel line, every door, and also a little from the sides in general. It's a beautiful model, but the lighting might be a bit too strong. The entire cabs actually also light up when you turn the head- and taillights on.

>> This would appear to be more of a problem, perhaps someone on RMweb that is more familiar with the Bachmann 4-TC could advise ? 

Edited by tractor_37260

• 2 months later...