Band Figurines? Marching/Standing

hartleymartin

Does anyone know of a good range of figurines of a brass band/military band/town band?

I've been in bands now for more than half my life and I've decided I'd like to have a band scene on the layout, perhaps even a little hidden speaker with "Colonel Bogey" playing occasionally.

In particular, I would like drummers and flautists since my latest band project is a Corps of Drums in the British tradition.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Britains used to do such things in 1/32 (gauge 1) in the days of my youth, but I’m not aware of anything in 7mm.

You could certainly speak to Alan Buttler at Modelu.

Best

Simon

I've a collection of 12 folk musicians in the backlog, but no brass band as yet!

Airfix used to do a marching military band that occassionally comes up on ebay. I have a set somewhere. I suspect they are made from the nasty flexible plastic that some of their figures used to be made of and which results in the paint flaking of if handled. How well moulded they are I can't remember and of course they will be the wrong scale, OO not O.

Edited by rovex

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest HartleyMartin, who do you play for and what do you play?

I play cornet for Lea Hall brass band in Staffordshire (we used to be Rugeley power station brass band).

Have played with them for 16 years, one of the best things I have ever done and it’s interesting how many times brass bands and railways overlap!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in a few different bands. I started out as a Drummer in a cadets military band. I tried Euphonium, but I didn't have a teacher for brass so I never really made any progress there. I made attempts at playing B-flat Bugle, but my family disapproved of my "practicing" at home.

After that I played B-flat Fife, and 1st B-flat Band Flute in a small Drum & Fife Corps, was eventually in charge of that band. I had a brief stint as a drummer in a pipe band (I am helping out a band short on drummers at the moment).

So at the moment, I am teaching flute for a Corps of Drums and I play pipe band snare in another band. I have a B-flat bugle (one of my great regrets from childhood was that I never learned Trumpet or Cornet) and I will have a go at some brass again. Bagpipes are on the bucket list, but I don't have the time for it at the moment.

My other music job is as a Church organist and I sing first tenor in a Cathedral Choir. This is really a hobby-business. I used to joke that the music hobby funds the train hobby!

But yes, I would love to get some band figurines.

• Like 1