Livery for East Kent Railway, Kerr Stuart 'Victory' No.4

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone help me with details of the correct livery for the Kerr Stuart 'Victory' 0-6-0T loco owned by the East Kent Railway and numbered No.4 until nationalisation in 1948 when it became BR No.30948 ?

I am modelling 1938 - 1948 so it is the pre-nationalisation livery that I am after.

Tony

Can anyone help me with details of the correct livery for the Kerr Stuart 'Victory' 0-6-0T loco owned by the East Kent Railway and numbered No.4 until nationalisation in 1948 when it became BR No.30948 ?

I am modelling 1938 - 1948 so it is the pre-nationalisation livery that I am after.

Tony

No - ALMOST became 30948 but didn't actually get renumbered ......... I'm pretty sure she carried malachite green at the end* - after overhaul at Ashford : the Oakwood Press E.K.R. history should give chapter and verse.

She's certainly make a lovely model !

* Photo in Casserley & Asher 1970 I think !!?!

• RMweb Gold

No - ALMOST became 30948 but didn't actually get renumbered ......... I'm pretty sure she carried malachite green at the end* - after overhaul at Ashford : the Oakwood Press E.K.R. history should give chapter and verse.

She's certainly make a lovely model !

* Photo in Casserley & Asher 1970 I think !!?!

Many thanks for your prompt reply; I will get hold of a copy of the Oakwood volume, but in the meantime I realised that I have the Middleton Press book which says of No.4: "It remained green painted, unlike No.s 1 to 3 which were always black..."

What is the title of the Casserley and Asher book that you have cited?

Tony

Tony

Many thanks for your prompt reply; I will get hold of a copy of the Oakwood volume, but in the meantime I realised that I have the Middleton Press book which says of No.4: "It remained green painted, unlike No.s 1 to 3 which were always black..."

What is the title of the Casserley and Asher book that you have cited?

Tony

Tony

To elaborate on Nick's reply, the Oakwood Press Vol.2 states “ …. No.4 set off for Ashford on the 7th of December 1932 for the fitting of a Hunslet firebox. …. did not return to Shepherdswell until 1st September 1933 …. did not go back into service until 14th October. This latter delay may have been due to repainting as No.4 returned to service in a smart coat of mid-green with yellow lettering.”

I've not spotted any other mention of livery before or after those dates* though lining is clearly visible on the photos : the loco was “still looking smart in June 1936” but was decidedly shabby when being cut up at Ashford in 1949 – quite possibly still carrying its 1933 paint ??!?

* I've not got the book in front of me - but it looks like Nick DID find something else !

Casserley and Asher : https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/locomotives-of-british-railways/author/casserley-and-asher/

• RMweb Premium

To elaborate on Nick's reply, the Oakwood Press Vol.2 states “ …. No.4 set off for Ashford on the 7th of December 1932 for the fitting of a Hunslet firebox. …. did not return to Shepherdswell until 1st September 1933 …. did not go back into service until 14th October. This latter delay may have been due to repainting as No.4 returned to service in a smart coat of mid-green with yellow lettering.”

I've not spotted any other mention of livery before or after those dates* though lining is clearly visible on the photos : the loco was “still looking smart in June 1936” but was decidedly shabby when being cut up at Ashford in 1949 – quite possibly still carrying its 1933 paint ??!?

* I've not got the book in front of me - but it looks like Nick DID find something else !

Casserley and Asher : https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/locomotives-of-british-railways/author/casserley-and-asher/

lining was black white  black  and  white black white  the book gives details of which was where and what was unlined

Nick

• 5 years later...