How would the ends of tracks be fenced off at a terminus

R.e. the buffer stops, I could have gone a bit more elaborate and bought proper SR ones from someone like Lanarkshire Model Supplies, but I think the humble Peco rail built stops will do for now. Once weathered up, and a bit of modification is done, they are pretty representative of a standard BR buffer stop found all over the network. I may replace them at a later date though.

Re. sand drags and moving the stops away from the ends, I think this happened in the case of Hayes when the track layout was modified upon electrification. It does appear to suggest so in the plan in Southern Nouveau.

However, if I did do this, then I would be loosing platform length, which I don't want to do. Looking at some pictures of Portsmouth & Southsea low level tonight, the buffer stops appear to be right up at the end of the platform ends.

I'm not sure but perhaps the line into Hayes come down a gradient, hence the sand drags?

There's only a slight down grade into Hayes from the summit at Tiepigs Lane ( what a wonderful name ! ). Prior to electrification there was only one long platform ( roughly current No.2 ) and a shorter bay ( roughly No.1 ) - alongside the main platform was a loop ( latterly used as a stabling siding ) and those two tracks terminated in a small turntable beneath the current concourse : VERY different from the current layout.

Incidentally, Bromley North also lost its engine-release turntable on electrification - and got a similar 'island' platform with the buffers up against the station building.

Indeed, don't worry about sand drags in 1970. It was highly variable. I well remember the flimsy stops at Lowestoft Central as a child, which were compensated by having huge concrete mounds behind them - very ugly and I am not sure how that was meant to improve safety. What was more common was the zig-zag weld across the last several yards of the rails towards the stops, to help braking if the wheels "picked up" in damp or icy conditions, on braking. We had those at Cannot Street in the mid 70's, as there was no room for any more extensive stops or drags, given the very tight platform lengths (I just missed the Cannon Street buffer stops collision). Later, the modern type scissor-style stops were installed, which absorb energy in their entirety, rather than just hoping the buffer beam hydraulics would be enough.

• RMweb Gold

So, more on the modelling front now, i've been looking around the net at what would be the best to model the fencing.

The closest I have found so far, is the Ratio #431 GWR station fencing. They also do a pack with gates, of which one style looks appropriate.

Any other suggestions out there?

• RMweb Gold

Maerdy (South Wales) had a standard rail-built buffer stop. That formed up the headshunt. Pontypridd platform 7 also had a standard block, but it protected a water column. A lot of termini have a point crossing timber placed horizontally at buffer height, but nowadays this has fallen out of practice. Portsmouth harbour sported some hefty stopblocks; the rationale being that should a mishap occur, the (un) intending passengers would end up in HMS Dolphin!

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

At Exmouth, which dated from a 1930s rebuild, there was fencing behind the buffers.

I cannot find a clear photo at present, but there is this from 1975

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elmtreephotos/8387645700/in/photolist-d4tBn5-dM6jp2-dMbSR3-nv9Qwr-dM6j2X-4vtgX8-6G42Vt-rxGXFb-Z24wPc-rCAkFw-a4tg7D-a4w5KA-a4tgx8-6G4asK-9wGVc6-6g6RvW-Z24u5e-Z24mGP-9xd3Pw 

cheers

Try here?

There's a picture of Seaton on Ebay that seems to show a the building right behind the buffer stops:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seaton-Railway-Station-Photo-Colyford-Colyton-and-Seaton-Junction-Line-18/262214779787

Try here?

There's a picture of Seaton on Ebay that seems to show a the building right behind the buffer stops:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seaton-Railway-Station-Photo-Colyford-Colyton-and-Seaton-Junction-Line-18/262214779787

Excellent! I had obviously found it before, but was unable to remember I had even added it to one of my galleries!

cheers

So, more on the modelling front now, i've been looking around the net at what would be the best to model the fencing.

The closest I have found so far, is the Ratio #431 GWR station fencing. They also do a pack with gates, of which one style looks appropriate.

Any other suggestions out there?

They are ok I guess, but these look more fine and more "SR" to me:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=VO45007&style=&strType=&Mcode=Vollmer+45007

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/shop/laser-cut-6ft-wrought-iron-railings-oo4mm176/?v=11aedd0e4327

Chris, I've got <almost> the same problem with the Kings Cross layout. A solution that I'm likely to use is spear fencing behind the stops and a little way up the platform alongside them. Then I'm planning gated access to the platforms with traditional ticket barrier and ticket collector's box, hoping that will give off a run-down 70s vibe.

post-17811-0-05252600-1529127808.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've had a rummage through my bits box, and low and behold, have found a whole entire etch of Scalelink spear fencing. I think it will be close enough for my purposes.....

I've had a rummage through my bits box, and low and behold, have found a whole entire etch of Scalelink spear fencing. I think it will be close enough for my purposes.....

Excellent, because I was going to recommend them, only to find they are now out of production.

Edited by Mike Storey

A bit late coming to this thread, and I'm guessing the model represents a country rather than a suburban terminus.  Here are some fairly recent shots from Hampton Court, which is more akin to a suburban terminus and has been remodelled to shorten the main platform road.  However, it does now demonstrate a similar arrangement of tracks either side of a single (in use) platform.

I'm surprised at how little allowance there is between the rail buffer stops and the lip of the concourse.  Note the gravel drags (possibly a more recent addition, from what has been suggested before), the fencing and wall/advertising hoarding.  

post-10122-0-46347500-1529330418.jpg

post-10122-0-02714900-1529330419.jpg

post-10122-0-34360100-1529330419.jpg

post-10122-0-84736700-1529330419_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-50853000-1529330420_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Very late in the day but I have finally had a chance to take photos of the platform end at Exeter Central, which I believe dates from the 1930 rebuild.

post-7081-0-79486300-1538601087_thumb.jpg

post-7081-0-81074500-1538601104_thumb.jpg

post-7081-0-65669400-1538601120_thumb.jpg

Exeter Central Down Bay platform, pictures taken from Northernhay Gardens, 3/10/2018

cheers

Edited by Rivercider