Teacups' Workbench

Guest teacupteacup

Guest teacupteacup

Hello

I thought I would start a topic on my current rtr tampering projects, in addtion to my other threads (in my signature)...

Whilst waiting for my last house to sell and moving into the one Im now in, my long interest in the Pre-TOPS era has waned, with my attentions turning to the latter days of Speedlink, which I was last interested in when it was current!  My kitbuilding thread is being cluttered with air-braked wagon kits and I've now turned towards my motley loco collection which consists of a Lima 31, a Lima 47 and Hornby (ex-Dapol) 56

I've had the below Lima Class 47 in my possession since 1991, pretty sure it was 47315 in Departmental Grey.  Since then its now fitted with a Hornby chassis, has went through numerous reliveries and indentities, the most recent being backdated to produce the loco below...

post-33604-0-68129200-1529010524_thumb.jpg

I never did get round to putting the finishing touches nor putting transfers on as it was a quick job for an exhibition.  So a good subject to start on.

Over the past couple of days it has went from the above, via a bath in Dettol, to this...

post-33604-0-99148900-1529010563_thumb.jpg

And tonight has gone to this...

post-33604-0-57509700-1529010733_thumb.jpg

I had already put the wire handrails on at some time in the dim and distant past, the headcode panels have come from my spares box and the hi-intensity headlights from Hornby

My plans for the loco are to fit working lights - head and hi-intensity only as 9 out of 10 times the loco will be hauling stock.  Still undecided as to the livery and final identity awaiting this bodyshell, so a tea and biscuit fuelled Google Image search will start soon.

Since taking the photo's I've repositioned the hi-intensity lights as they were too low on the cab front.

I have another 47 arriving in the next couple of days, courtesy of a fellow RMWebber, its a bit run down and in original NSE livery, it may end up being redone as orig NSE!

Guest teacupteacup

As touched on about, my 2nd Class 47 arrived today...

post-33604-0-15878900-1529092031_thumb.jpg

It was a non-runner a first but a bit of TLC coaxed the motor back to like and its now running very sweetly.  A service and clean should improve things further.

The bodyshell is now undergoing paint removal via Dettol.

Guest teacupteacup

Hello

I thought I would start a topic on my current rtr tampering projects, in addtion to my other threads (in my signature)...

Whilst waiting for my last house to sell and moving into the one Im now in, my long interest in the Pre-TOPS era has waned, with my attentions turning to the latter days of Speedlink, which I was last interested in when it was current!  My kitbuilding thread is being cluttered with air-braked wagon kits and I've now turned towards my motley loco collection which consists of a Lima 31, a Lima 47 and Hornby (ex-Dapol) 56

I've had the below Lima Class 47 in my possession since 1991, pretty sure it was 47315 in Departmental Grey.  Since then its now fitted with a Hornby chassis, has went through numerous reliveries and indentities, the most recent being backdated to produce the loco below...

attachicon.gif20180612_181837.jpg

I never did get round to putting the finishing touches nor putting transfers on as it was a quick job for an exhibition.  So a good subject to start on.

Over the past couple of days it has went from the above, via a bath in Dettol, to this...

attachicon.gif20180614_212302.jpg

And tonight has gone to this...

attachicon.gif20180614_214631.jpg

I had already put the wire handrails on at some time in the dim and distant past, the headcode panels have come from my spares box and the hi-intensity headlights from Hornby

My plans for the loco are to fit working lights - head and hi-intensity only as 9 out of 10 times the loco will be hauling stock.  Still undecided as to the livery and final identity awaiting this bodyshell, so a tea and biscuit fuelled Google Image search will start soon.

Since taking the photo's I've repositioned the hi-intensity lights as they were too low on the cab front.

I have another 47 arriving in the next couple of days, courtesy of a fellow RMWebber, its a bit run down and in original NSE livery, it may end up being redone as orig NSE!

A little bit more detailing work on this tonight has seen the addition of V-Shaped Arials on the cab roof.  This is taking me back to my early 90's Craftsman bits loco detailing...

post-33604-0-30736200-1529100992_thumb.jpg

I've also filled the boiler exhaust grille.  Last things to do before painting are fitting lamp-irons and drilling out the marker and headlights for LED's.

• 1 month later...
Guest teacupteacup

The recent hot weather has saw my workbench activities slow down, along with physically starting my new layout.  However I have moved forward with a few projects...

This Lima 47 is the latest incarnation of the loco in the first picture in this thread, and will become 47120 in Large Logo Blue, as in 1989 (RAF Kinloss nameplates removed and before TI's Osprey unofficial nameplates painted on)...

post-33604-0-08143400-1532875988_thumb.jpg

The next Lima 47 is the former NSE liveried one in the post above, and will become 47286 in RF Distribution, before nose end numbers were added in the early 90's...

post-33604-0-15662300-1532876135_thumb.jpg

The following Lima 31 will become 31270 in TL Coal livery...

post-33604-0-15233800-1532876506_thumb.jpg

And finally this Lima 37 will end up as 37110 in Departmental Grey.  I've tried to create the tumblehome that isnt present on the Lima moulding, I think it looks quite good, wont stand up to a Bachmann or ViTrains example but will do me!...

post-33604-0-38995500-1532876604_thumb.jpg

As you can see, all are primered and ready for top coats.

I've also been working on some RTR rolling stock, as well as kit-built ones.  I'll update when there is more to show

Guest teacupteacup

Another day, another update.

First of the top coats applied to 3 of the bodyshells, nothing exciting as its just the orange for the cantrail warning stripe...

post-33604-0-61086200-1533073001_thumb.jpg

I've used Humbrol Orange Lining Matt paint for this (think thats what its called), went on well after being thorough mixed and slightly thinned, and was touch dry in about 20 mins.  I think I sprayed on 8 thin coats.

I'll leave this sitting for a few days before masking off, which will be fun as I've not masked off a cantrail in god knows how many years (the joys of pre-tops modelling!)

Edited by teacupteacup

• 2 months later...

Hey teacup

The bodyshells of these Lima locos actually look very good in my opinion despite being nearly 30 years old but thing I hate don't like about them is...the motors.

Wonder how these things will turn out in their liveries. I seriously recomend you to go to Shawplan's website, these locos will be ripe for their parts wether it would be fan grilles, nameplates, glazing etc. Never bought anyhing from them (yet) but seeing so many modellers use their parts with great sucess, I think that's good enough!!

Jules

Guest teacupteacup

Hey teacup

The bodyshells of these Lima locos actually look very good in my opinion despite being nearly 30 years old but thing I hate don't like about them is...the motors.

Wonder how these things will turn out in their liveries. I seriously recomend you to go to Shawplan's website, these locos will be ripe for their parts wether it would be fan grilles, nameplates, glazing etc. Never bought anyhing from them (yet) but seeing so many modellers use their parts with great sucess, I think that's good enough!!

Jules

Hi Jules

Im not interested in super-detailing anymore, just dont have enough time for it.  I used to super-detail all of my stock from loco's to road vehicles and everything in between, but I just dont have the time for it now.  Im now more of the 'if it looks right, it is right' mindset. I've used Shawplan parts extensively in the past and they are very very good.

I'd rather take time in creating an overall, consistent look and creating prototypical formations rather than worry about detail to the nth degree.

• 2 months later...
Guest teacupteacup

My modelling fairies must be on double-time today....

Following on from my kit building thread, my attention turned to a couple of untouched RTR loco's, namely a Hornby chain drive Sentinel and an Oxford Rail Janus

post-33604-0-42546100-1546382871_thumb.jpg

The Janus I picked up from the Hattons sale for £49 (no connection etc) and the Sentinel I bought from eBay as a bad runner for £25, all that was wrong was the pick-ups not making contact.  Once sorted and the wheels cleaned, it ran very well.  As a bonus, it has a chip fitted which I didnt know until I stripped it down tonight!   Happy chickens.

Both loco's stripped down very easily, the Janus required a bit of investigation to get the cab out but once done the windows popped out with no resistance.  The Sentinel again came apart very easily, even the windows which can sometimes be a problem.  A quick attack with my fibreglass pen saw the markings removed and the bits are now drying off.

Apart from fitting crew and a chip to the Janus, I'll only be tidying up the bufferbeam wasp stripes, its a very nice little loco.  The Sentinel I'll be fitting with RT Models etched side skirts which make a massive difference to the appearance.

Both will be repainted into an 'industrial' green, as carried by this fine example of British engineering, and the Sentinel will have bufferbeam wasp stripes added. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest teacupteacup

Progress has been made on the Janus and Sentinel...

post-33604-0-57350100-1547254280_thumb.jpg

Repainted as mentioned in the previous post, all thats to be done is to add the bufferbeam wasp-stripes, paint the solebar walkways and steps black and some detail painting, before re-assembling, varnishing and weathering.

I also took the opportunity to paint the Sentinels cab interior whilst I have access.  I also add a cab figure to both loco's

Hornby's forthcoming Ruston will be getting the same treatment!

Edited by teacupteacup