Spanish Skip

Baby Deltic

There were 3 of them and they were regauged which wouldn't be too difficult - in the main replacement axles. It was a rather nice find although the hot water it got me in was beyond belief - I was somewhat late back home to the wife and this was pre-mobile phone days so she had no idea where I was.

Kev

Must admit this picture rather amazed me:-

I had no idea that a Class 14 (or more than one?) had gone to Spain!! Did it/they have to be re-gauged?? And how difficult must that have been..!?!? :blink:

D9515, D9548 and D9549, ex British Steel, Corby imported over here circa 1981 (ref here -> http://www.railblue.com/pages/In%20Depth/Class%2014's.htm|).

Looking at the image, I think it's Martorell near Barcelona, and I don't know if they were re-gauged or not, as there is some 4' 8" down there.

Peaked my interest a bit, as I was wondering how I could get away with grabbing a Farish 14, but the main layout is Catalan railways...

Sean - the link you posted isn't there anymore - no such page on the website.

I'd be surprised if the class 14s weren't re-gauged for Spanish operation. There were hardly any "standard" gauge lines in Spain before the advent of the AVE/high speed lines (the most notable exception being the FC Langreo)

Here's one I posted earlier - former D9549 (as P601 0 3911 003 CMZ) awaiting its ultimate fate at Industrial Lopez SA, Zaragoza, 07/05/2003: http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__271288

Talltim – Many thanks for encrusting the video. It is still a mystery to me, even though I was following the “How to…†guide on here?

EddieB – Thanks for the heads up Eddie with regards Modern Locomotives Illustrated, and thanks for adding some captions to my gallery many moons ago.

F-UnitMad – If Wikipedia is anything to go by, the 3 examples that were exported to Spain went to Madrid Chamartín although I´m sure I’ve seen that photo before and it was said to be in the Barcelona area.

From what I have read in the Spanish railway press and online forums, the class 334 is not very well liked by the train crews. Surprising really as I can’t imagine the Altaria/Talgo stock that the majority of them haul are that heavy?

Here are a couple more class 334s.

post-7244-0-25401100-1305636880_thumb.jpg

post-7244-0-54164500-1305636960_thumb.jpg

Andy - out of interest, are you anywhere near this loco:

http://www.locomotoravapor.com/fotosupload/murcia/victoria_2008.jpg

To be found at Centro de Formación e Iniciativas de Empleo El Palmar (CFIE)?

If so, can you advise whether it's normally visible and accessible from public places?

I once spent much time trying unsuccessfully to find it at a previous location (Sangonera La Verde) and would love to make her acquaintance if ever I'm in the area (no immediate plans). While it's little more than a wreck, the loco has an interesting history, having been rebuilt within the FC Buitron's own workshops, it appears using parts from two previous locos - one supplied by Hawthorns of Leith in 1867, the other from Kitson in 1868.

Hi Eddie.

I had a look at the website "Locomotora a vapor" and saw the photo you mention.

I live/work about 40 minutes from El Palmar and I will be going down to Sangonera la Seca to visit a supplier tomorrow or Friday, which isn´t too far away from El Palmar.

If I can, I´ll see if I can find it or find out what has happened to it.

If not, I have a friend who is a member of the Murcian Railway Association, maybe they know something about it?

Regards

Andy

Hi Eddie.

I finally managed to get down to El Palmar and found your loco.

Here are a couple of photos to be going on with.

I´ll pinpiont it on a map for you tommorrow as I´m off home now.

post-7244-0-32232800-1306173399_thumb.jpg

post-7244-0-51691100-1306173448_thumb.jpg

Regards

Andy

Andy,

Thank you so much for that! Well it certainly appears that the locos is being restored - but I hope that where possible the original components are being retained (in some hope that the parts originating from the two builders can be identified). There seem to be a lot of spare parts lying around.

Is the loco in a place of public access?

Regards,

Eddie.

Hi Eddie.

The loco is not in a private place. It is a re-insertion centre, i.e. teaching people new skills to try and get them back into work.

I asked a woman in one of the offices if it was possible to take the photos and although she thought it (or I) was strange, she said there was no problem.

She said that it had been a project of one of the teachers but he had retired and she didn´t know much else.

As you can see it has been part dismantled and painted and some bits have been fabricated and added. There were also bits (smokebox surround being one of them) in a pile in front of the locomotive.

The interior of the roof has been clad with wooden stips.

Here are a couple more photos.

post-7244-0-84111700-1306317985_thumb.jpg

post-7244-0-58687500-1306318042_thumb.jpg

If you want the higher res versions of the fotos I took, send me a PM and I´ll pass them on.

The centre is located just before you get to MercaMurcia after leaving El Palmar and just before Sangonera. I was going to upload a screen print from Google maps that I have put an arrow on but thought there may have been a problem with copyright so again, if you want I can send you it privately.

Hope this helps.

Andy

• 5 months later...

It´s been a while since I bumped this thread so here is a compilation video of various passenger services from the Region of Murcia to Madrid. They are all northbound services funnily enough but all are hauled by the class 67 related class 334.

It gives you some idea of the aridness of the region.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4dv5S47kmI

Archived