The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How to Download OpenOffice?

SHMD

• RMweb Gold
You see last week I treated myself to a new PC :- 3.2GHz i7-8700, 16GB + Optane, 4TB drive, liquid cooling, twin 24" monitors, GTX 1060 6GB Graphics card and a lit keyboard and mouse. The lit keyboard, with colour choice and intensity, is particularly useful with my poor eyesight.
(Didn't people in the 50s and 60s list off crap like this about their cars!?)

Very nice it is too and it comes with WIN10. Now I'm not against WIN10 (Vista was the spawn of the devil though) and I can find pretty much everything I want. I've also downloaded my CAD and Compiler stuff and successfully transfered the licences.

The one program (so far) that I just cant get to download is Open Office via the SourceForge web site.

I use the link from the Apache Open Office website, select "Windows (EXE), English [briitish], 4.1.5" which takes you to the SourceForge page (DON'T click on anything so as to avoid CrapWare being added) and wait the 5 seconds for the Download to start. However the SourceForge page looks all wrong and the download never starts.

I'm pretty sure that it is something to do with Java so I installed that (after quite a phaff) and found that Java dosn't work with Chrome or Edge but (at least) installs into ie11. The result was a "slightly" improved SourceForge page but still nothing happening.

post-12815-0-94893800-1530442590.png

Ive Googled loads of stuff and tried various variations on the theme of "Open Office won't download" but to no avail.
I would greatly appriciate any help as I like Open Office and don't wan't to pay for subscription software or learn another program.

If you've read this far (and I don't blame you if you haven't!) - many thanks.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure why you are having download issues but I believe there is very little development effort going in to Open Office. My preference would be LibreOffice which (I think) comes from the same original source but is more actively supported. I use it all the time.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave,

I've started the LibreOffice download - which was a doddle - and will have a "play".

(It will take a while, my son is getting a Gigabyte+ update from Fornite!)

I would still like to know how to download from SourceForge as there might be other stuff I want such as Gimp.

Or is SourceForge offlimits to Win 10 users now?

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Well, i've downloaded LibreOffice - whilst cutting the front hedge - and installation could not have been easier.

I've had a play and instantly like it - thanks again Dave.

Just to proove i've had a play, and like it, i've looked at spikey's problem and found the soluition in less than a minute!

Just Open "Writer" and click on "Tools". Then select the bottom menu item "Options" and then Expand "LibreOffice Writer". In this list click on "Basic Fonts (Western)" and change what you want. 

post-12815-0-37390300-1530448817_thumb.png

Kev.

• Like 1