RMweb

Hi folks,

I am about to embark on a project or two regarding a few class 03 shunters.

I want to repaint them completely and wondered if anyone had hints or tips regarding painting really good wasp stripes?

Any help appreciated!

Regards

Ian

Thanks Jonny777,

I did look at some similar transfers to those but there are so many little bits and bobs in the way like lamps and handrails I wondered how i would ever get them on!

Maybe I could cut them up and put them on bit by bit....

Ian

But those sheets are black and clear. They are designed to be applied over the yellow which will show through the clear areas but have the same finish as the black. 

• RMweb Gold

Not ever having attempted this myself on a diesel, may I suggest the following process for consideration.

Mask the loco, leaving the areas front and rear requiring the stripes.

Spray these areas with the yellow paint; whilst this is drying, trim lengths of masking tape to the required width of the stripes and apply in position over the now dry yellow.

Spray the black colour.

Remove excess pigments with airbrush cleaner and cocktail stick.

On my model of D2201 I painted the ends yellow, and then applied the black stripes using the Fox transfer sheet (Which looks similar to the Model tech sheet Jonny liked to above) Details like hand rails and lamps were applied after the transfers. You can see D2201 in my layout thread.

Alex

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I decided to build a Dapol Drewry class 04 as a trial and used the Railtec wasp stripes.

They were a little bit fiddly but I am pretty happy with the result for a first attempt!

I am back on the modelling scene after a 30 year ish break so still a little rusty!

:)

Ianpost-33746-0-37913900-1531288215_thumb.jpgpost-33746-0-40555800-1531288229_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi folks,

I decided to build a Dapol Drewry class 04 as a trial and used the Railtec wasp stripes.

They were a little bit fiddly but I am pretty happy with the result for a first attempt!

I am back on the modelling scene after a 30 year ish break so still a little rusty!

:)

Ianattachicon.gifIMG_2549.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2550.JPG

Hi Ian,

I'm back into modelling after a good twenty years and have some old Lima 09's that have been repainted recently that have just plain yellow ends at the moment. They were put back into the To Do box for the reason that my attempts at painting stripes went a bit wavy, your 04 looks just fine and with luck my 08's will also after similar treatment.

Gibbo.

I recommend using the Humbrol decalfix to aid the application of the wasp stripes mate. I soaked them in water as usual first, then applied some decalfix to the loco ends before applying the stripes, then a little more on top of the stripes as they were drying. The decalfix helps the stripes adhere to the model and also prevents silvering.