The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Changing Energy Suppliers again

Danemouth

For the past few years I have bought my energy with 12 month fixed price deals. My current deal with EDF finishes in a few weeks. I don't want to stay with them, in the past eleven months I have been billed just twice  which is unhelpful.

Also I am not willing to have a smart meter.

I've had a look on USwitch and I can save money, over £250 p.a., by going for a smaller supplier such as Bulb, Tonik or Engie.

Do any of you have any recommendations for any suppliers outside the big six, or any suppliers I should avoid like the plague please?

Many thanks,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I have been with Ovo for several years now.  I chose them initially for environmental rather than cost saving reasons (at the time they had a tie-in and donated to the Woodland Trust).  You will find cheaper but they are not expensive.  Their service has been excellent to date.  They are based in Bristol.

I am currently on a plan which supplies 100% renewable electricity and about as green as they can make it gas.  I do not have a smart meter.  I submit readings one a month in response to a reminder email and pay via direct debit.  If readings are not submitted they estimate usage.  The direct debit payments are renewed annually.  If you happen to over pay and run a credit balance then they pay 45% interest, so you could even use them as a small savings account in a way.  An additional novelty is that they actually reward customer loyalty and give a small additional discount amount of interest after a few years with them.

Edit - Corrected the last two sentences.

Edited by teaky

I have been with Ovo for several years now.  I chose them initially for environmental rather than cost saving reasons (at the time they had a tie-in and donated to the Woodland Trust).  You will find cheaper but they are not expensive.  Their service has been excellent to date.  They are based in Bristol.

I am currently on a plan which supplies 100% renewable electricity and about as green as they can make it gas.  I do not have a smart meter.  I submit readings one a month in response to a reminder email and pay via direct debit.  If readings are not submitted they estimate usage.  The direct debit payments are renewed annually.  If you happen to over pay and run a credit balance then they pay 4% interest, so you could even use them as a small savings account in a way.  An additional novelty is that they actually reward customer loyalty and give a small additional discount after a few years with them.

Thanks Rob,

I was with OVO until I switched to EDF last year as the latter were cheaper by ~ 15%

I will give OVO another look.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Danemouth

We're with Green Energy and pay 12p per unit for electricity. I forget what we pay for gas but it is 100% green gas. They're big on anaerobic digesters.

• RMweb Premium

I've gone to Bulb.  I chose them not just because of their price (which is very reasonable) but because they seem to score highly on customer satisfaction which many of the other small companies don't (they're UK's No. 1 rated energy supplier on Trust Pilot).  Like so many others, Bulb claim to be 100% green.  Unit price (electricity only - possibly cheaper on dual?) is 13.76p.  It's too early at this stage to comment on their efficiency, but the lights are still on.  I don't have a smart meter.  Incidentally, if you do decide on Bulb, let me (or another Bulb customer) refer you to them - we'll both get £50! 

DT

A few years ago I moved my gas from British Gas to Ebico as BG were going to put a standing charge of £126 per year on my bill which was more than the cost of the gas I used.
I am now going to change my electric supply from Scottish Power to Ebico.
Ebico Zero has no standing charges which is fine if you are a low energy user.