The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Mac OSX Drop Down Menu

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

When browsing websites in Safari, from time to time my iMac decides that if I keep clicking on, for example, a Next Page button after reading the previous one, that actually I don't want that at all, and offers me a drop-down list of things I might prefer to do, like open page, open page in new window etc. It overrides the button function, meaning I need to click to get rid of the dropdown and click again on the button - if the drop-down doesn't reappear, as it often does. It occurs on multiple websites, including RMweb from time to time.

Any idea how I can disable the thing? Google seemed to be full of suggestions about implementing drop-down menus, but nothing about telling them to quit!

OSX, like, ten, Ian? Which big cat? Are you getting "unsupported browser" messages constantly?

I gave up on Safari as Google was getting arsey using Gmail with an older version, now using Chrome instead.

I'm afraid it seems whilst Apple's hardware will go on and on, the lack of software updates for older kit just proves their greed in flogging not inexpensive new shiney.

Being Linux/Unix based though, there is support out there...

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

OS 10.13.5.

No I don't get any warnings or anything of that sort - just the system seems to want to help me when I don't need help. 

Since 99% of my use is surfing, the intrusion is just a pain. 

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like the right click / context menu. Are you using a track pad or Magic Mouse and tapping with two fingers?

Magic Mouse, and I'm not famous for using half the facilities and gestures. But I can try emphasising use of the left side only, thanks.

Anything in System Preferences, disable hints?

C6T.

Nothing that I can see. 

• RMweb Gold

I think you've cracked it chaps - operator error! I just made 50 consecutive 'next page' clicks without anything spurious, while an intentional right-click produced the expected goods. 

Thanks very much!

Ah, the inappropriately named Mighty Mouse, the stated occasional instances of unwanted pop-ups does indeed point to the Bluetooth little rascal.

My particular unwanted interface betwixt brain-hand and tech is making all the flipping panes shrink onto screen. Because apparently I'm holding the sides of the mouse too firmly...

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold

Magic Mouse, and I'm not famous for using half the facilities and gestures. But I can try emphasising use of the left side only, thanks.

Nothing that I can see. 

It is definitely the mouse setting Ian - as you since seem to have proved for yourself.  I had exactly the same trouble, which I found intensely off-p*ssing, and altered the mouse settings - no problem since (well not that one anyway ;) ).

You can, if you wish, fget rid of it completely by going into System Preferences, then Mouse and unchecking the 'Secondary Click' and then go into 'More Gestures' and uncheck 'swipe between pages'.  Might lose you a bit of flexibility but as I found it so easy to tap the right side of the mouse by accident I got rid of both.

Edited by The Stationmaster

My track pad on my MacBook laptop does that occasionally. 

It is annoying, and in the trackpad case I think it is just a slight movement of the fingers which seems to fool the sensors into thinking I have done a ctrl click. 

I had a keyboard once where the ctrl key was permanently stuck, and the computer thought I was adding ctrl to everything. For computing that drives a person steadily insane, that just about beats the lot.