1950/60s Limestone Quarry Weighbridges

Hi there,

I’m building a layout based on Briggs Sidings in the Peak District circa 1954 and I’m looking for some advice regarding weighbridges.

I know that collieries typically had two, one either side of the screens, positioned at the head of the fan of lines that passed under the screens and that wagons moved between them via gravity.

I’ve always assumed that quarries operated in a similar way, but on my layout topic, Gordon A has mentioned weighbridges with avoiding tracks allowing locomotives to pass over the weighbridge without affecting the weighing machinery. Does anyone have more information about this type of weighbridge?

If you look at my ICI thread here:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72947-ici-buxton-tunstead-etc-railways-in-the-1960s/         

Post #7 includes photos of Briggs Sidings

I don't think there was a weighbridge here at the ICI sidings.  The 1972 1/2500 OS map shows the weighbridge at Dowlow Quarry just south of Briggs Sidings but nothing at the ICI sidings.  

Edited by PGH
  • Like 1

Thank you both for your replies.

Isambarduk; you learn a new thing everyday!

PGH; I’ve looked at your ICI thread previously - it’s one of the reasons I got off my backside and actually started my layout! - and I couldn’t see any weighbridge at Briggs either nor on old maps. Thanks for those photos of Dowlow; if I use the ‘locking system’ you mention, I can lose the headache of modelling gauntlet track or gravity shunting...