Dismantling old Hornby PO wagons

Hi all,

I've found myself somewhat stumped by Hornby's PO wagons, the short wheelbase wooden frame private owner ones from the 90s. I'm trying to remove the bodies, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how they're attached to the chassis. There are no fixing lugs or screws that I can see. Does anyone know how these things go together?

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

I've never been able to find any clips but I haven't tried to separate the body from the frame. If there aren't, they must be glued together and inserting a flat blade in between and prising them apart is probably the way to go.

There are clearly small locating lugs just inboard of the buffers but it will only become apparent if they also function as clips when it's too late.  :O  

Start off with the wagon you are least fond of and you will discover either how to do it or how not to do it on the rest. Even if something breaks, it will probably be repairable.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The earlier ones with a one piece chassis moulding have 4 moulded pegs on the chassis which go through holes in the body. The pegs are melted and pressed down slightly into the body to secure . A strong knife blade under a corner usually breaks the weld.

Later versions had a 2 part chassis and the body was changed incorporating 2 clips between the axles behind the brake gear.

Edited by kernowtim
  • Like 1

By short wheelbase, wooden frame, I assume you mean this type? (Also available with 4-plank and 3-plank bodies)?

post-793-0-55602900-1531900480_thumb.jpg

If so, the body is actually held onto the underframe with adhesive (in some cases, double sided tape and a spot of superglue).

Slip a Stanley knife (other brands of strong knife are available) between the body and the buffer beam at one corner and twist to separate the two.

The two circular pegs sticking down from the body look as though they're intended for screws (particularly the ones holding the couplings on) but they're just to locate the body in the right place for the glue.

post-793-0-02022200-1531900703_thumb.jpg

By short wheelbase, wooden frame, I assume you mean this type? (Also available with 4-plank and 3-plank bodies)?

attachicon.gifIMG_20180718_085322485.jpg

If so, the body is actually held onto the underframe with adhesive (in some cases, double sided tape and a spot of superglue).

Slip a Stanley knife (other brands of strong knife are available) between the body and the buffer beam at one corner and twist to separate the two.

The two circular pegs sticking down from the body look as though they're intended for screws (particularly the ones holding the couplings on) but they're just to locate the body in the right place for the glue.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180718_085748268.jpg

That's the sort! Many thanks, I'll give it a shot.

• Like 1