Help & Advice Please

MANTY1

Good Afternoon

I have a Mainline Manor & Mogul loco's that I would like to sort out  but they appear to have the dreaded axle problem.

I see Peters Spares sell the pins and gears PS29

Has anyone on here carried out this repair and what are the complications. Quartering etc.

I have taken the Mogul apart and can see what I need to do (they both have the round pin axles) but would like some advice if possible please.

Is their an article I am missing somewhere ?.

Many Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Hi Manty1, I don't have any knowledge of the two models you are dealing with and I hope you don't mind and I'm  trying to be helpful (not smart Alec clever), but might I suggest you consider changing the title of your topic to something more specific than 'Help and Advice Please'. It might also serve you better to have the topic under a different forum heading from 'Motors and Drive systems' , perhaps Modelling Hints and Tips would be  more relevant.

A title such as 'Mainline Manor/ Mogul axle problems - Help and Advice sought' will attract the attention of those on the forum who have the experience to answer your query.

Good luck with the repairs and I hope someone will be able to help you before long.

Regards,

John

Edit to add suggestion re Topic Forum heading.

Edited by Brit70053

Hi Manty1, I don't have any knowledge of the two models you are dealing with and I hope you don't mind and I'm  trying to be helpful (not smart Alec clever), but might I suggest you consider changing the title of your topic to something more specific than 'Help and Advice Please'. It might also serve you better to have the topic under a different forum heading from 'Motors and Drive systems' , perhaps Modelling Hints and Tips would be  more relevant.

A title such as 'Mainline Manor/ Mogul axle problems - Help and Advice sought' will attract the attention of those on the forum who have the experience to answer your query.

Good luck with the repairs and I hope someone will be able to help you before long.

Regards,

John

Edit to add suggestion re Topic Forum heading.

Thank you John appreciate your advice.

I was wondering if I had asked the question the right way.

Will change it

Many Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of references to the mainline axle issues.   Bachmann completely redesigned the chassis to improve matters, using square axle ends, but the Bachmann wheels have larger axle journals and are not direct replacements, In fact I don't think the Bachmann wheels can be used in the Mainline chassis without a milling machine.  The Mainline motor is not great.  

30 years ago we "Solved" the issueof wheels slipping by taking the motor out and putting a Hornby Tender drive tender from a 4-4-0 County, 28XX or Saint behind it.  We had to fabricate a draw bar, arrange a wire from one side of the split chassis to the Tender drive  but basically they, a Manor and two 43XX  worked OK for the best part of 30 years until I got fed up with the tender drive  traction tyres making the track dirty and banished them to the display cabinet.

The Bachmann chassis is a better bit of kit but not wonderful, the axles don't slip but wheels fall off, my son bought the Cambrian Coast Express Set and the Manor shed a wheel after 30 minutes running and the 43XX are loose as well.

I suspect the stub axles don't make proper contact with the chassis which causes arcing which heats the wheel and axle, softening the axle.  This is exacerbated by using the wrong oil. Peco electrolube or any conductive oil should be used.

If you want to give the 43XX a try, Peters spares may well have replacement axles, Make absolutely sure you have the "Quartering" right first time as once the wheels have been twisted on the axles they will continually slip,  What I did with my Mainline 03 shunter was to fit pickups between the chassis halves and the backs of the driving wheels, Its still going strong after 25 years or so since I bought the chassis for a couple of quid to replace a burned out Bachmann chassis.

There are lots of references to the mainline axle issues.   Bachmann completely redesigned the chassis to improve matters, using square axle ends, but the Bachmann wheels have larger axle journals and are not direct replacements, In fact I don't think the Bachmann wheels can be used in the Mainline chassis without a milling machine.  The Mainline motor is not great.  

30 years ago we "Solved" the issueof wheels slipping by taking the motor out and putting a Hornby Tender drive tender from a 4-4-0 County, 28XX or Saint behind it.  We had to fabricate a draw bar, arrange a wire from one side of the split chassis to the Tender drive  but basically they, a Manor and two 43XX  worked OK for the best part of 30 years until I got fed up with the tender drive  traction tyres making the track dirty and banished them to the display cabinet.

The Bachmann chassis is a better bit of kit but not wonderful, the axles don't slip but wheels fall off, my son bought the Cambrian Coast Express Set and the Manor shed a wheel after 30 minutes running and the 43XX are loose as well.

I suspect the stub axles don't make proper contact with the chassis which causes arcing which heats the wheel and axle, softening the axle.  This is exacerbated by using the wrong oil. Peco electrolube or any conductive oil should be used.

If you want to give the 43XX a try, Peters spares may well have replacement axles, Make absolutely sure you have the "Quartering" right first time as once the wheels have been twisted on the axles they will continually slip,  What I did with my Mainline 03 shunter was to fit pickups between the chassis halves and the backs of the driving wheels, Its still going strong after 25 years or so since I bought the chassis for a couple of quid to replace a burned out Bachmann chassis.

Thanks David,

Will probably give the Peters Spares a try just to see if I can do it.

If it fails no harm done as she is an old loco that has been in a box for years.

Regards

• 1 month later...

I have a Mainline 43xx from 1982. It had become virtually unusable due to the original motor making a racket and not running at constant speed. I replaced the chassis/motor with a second-hand Bachmann one, and it has transformed the loco into one that runs really smoothly and reliably. If you are going to spend any time and/or money on your 43xx then my recommendation is get a Bachmann chassis rather than persevere with the Mainline one.  Word of warning - it took me two attempts though - the first chassis I bought had to be returned as one of the axles was shot.