Sculpteo 60 micron SLS prints

Anybody tried them? Should be of particular interest to those who would normally use Shapeways' Strong & Flexible/ Versatile Plastics and the new HP Jet Fusion types as it is the same process but at a much higher resolution making it much better for curved and angled objects. I've got a test print on the way to see what it's like before I potentially order my FR Gunpowder Van in it. Price wise, it works out at a similar rate to Shapeway's Premium option for Versatile and their HP Professional plastic. Incidentally Sculpteo offer the latter at the same price as their standard Nylon SLS prints too. 

Not tried that option. I wonder how it compares to the HP Jet Fusion, that's done on slightly bigger layers 80 micron I think. As you say, Sculpteo are a lot more affordable for the HP material, little more than their normal SLS nylon service I think. The HP material has benefit of slightly thinner wall thickness requirements I think.

Edited by The Great Bear

On a side note, Quarreyscapes, I clicked on your model shop link and got the following connection warning from my browser:

The owner of www.coastlinemodels.co.uk has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.

Not tried that option. I wonder how it compares to the HP Jet Fusion, that's done on slightly bigger layers 80 micron I think. As you say, Sculpteo are a lot more affordable for the HP material, little more than their normal SLS nylon service I think. The HP material has benefit of slightly thinner wall thickness requirements I think.

From the few pictures I've seen it's the best raw state SLS print available. I'm not particularly convinced by the new HP process, it seems to warp a lot and suffers from raised edges around parts. It is slightly better in resolution than normal SLS, but not good enough to be on price terms with what Shapeways call Premium, that is having been through a multi step polishing process. If it too was available polished I might have been persuaded to use it more. No amount of polishing can compare to higher resolution from the outset.

On a side note, Quarreyscapes, I clicked on your model shop link and got the following connection warning from my browser:

The owner of www.coastlinemodels.co.uk has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.

The website's fine, my signature link was faulty still pointing to the SSL site which no longer exists. It'll be fine now, but anyone who's ever visited the Https:// site will need to clear cache before it'll work without throwing up security errors. 

• Like 1

Might be worth talking to Franck Combe , one of his layouts features in the banner at top of this forum. I think he has used Sculpteo a lot, partly because they have a base in France.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Well the test print is here and it is a mixed result. There is much less stepping (technically there is more, but of smaller step size) in evidence, however the warp is much more apparent, presumably due to the extra heat involved, so perhaps not ideal for large thin walled parts. I'll get some comparison shots up later.