Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

DRAPES

For my first layout outing I re-cycled drapes from a previous layout, but it was marginally too short.

So I'm thinking of splashing out on new drapes.

The layout is a roundy roundy 26ft x 10ft and so there needs to be a lot of drape and as track height is 48inches I guess it needs to be approx. 42inches deep.

I don't have a wife/mother who can run up such things at home. My first idea is to ask for volunteers within my club to see if there is anyone with suitable skills to do this. But if that fails?? 

Any suggestions for a CHEAP source material?

And what are the fire risk implications? I remember hand spraying the existing drapes back in the day and ensuring that the drape finished 2 inches above the floor, but that was in the days when smoking was allowed in exhibition halls. I've seen layouts recently where the drapes touched the ground.

What experience have you had?

post-4476-0-74102400-1532583412_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The old rules were that drapes had to be at least 6ins clear of the floor, so that the heat from a dropped ciggie didn't set them alight.

Fire proofing drapes was back then, I think, dependent on the venue and the requirements of the local Fire Officer who were prone to visit shows to check them. Nowadays I doubt the funding is available for visits and the responsibility has probably passed to the venues.

In recent years only twice have the organisers required fireproof drapes, that's out of 20+ shows. It was required at the bigger shows and I have ensured that I keep the bit of the cloth that has the 'fire proofed' label on it. I doubt that just spraying them and saying so will be sufficient, documentary proof will be needed!

On a personal level I do keep the drapes about 6ins (150mm) above the floor and still use the fireproof ones.

edit Fireproofed material is NOT cheap!

I too have seen drapes dragging on the floor, sometimes in a right bundle

Hope that helps

John

Edited by johnb

• RMweb Gold

That 6" air gap should be about right. It does a lot of other work, besides hiding what's going on. Airflow, for one thing. Don't ever let it droop onto the floor. People will tread on your drape, and the next thing, your exhibit will take on a 90 degree to the horizontal orientation. Remember, however, that security plays a great part with this. We've probably had the episode of "where's my loco/coach/wagon gone? 

I'd bite the bullet, and get the drape done professionally. Instead of a Christmas present, ask for the drape. You can buy a rolling stock item at any time. As it happens, my last requested drape cost the princely sum of a box of chocolates, plus the material, which is what you'll pay anyway.

Cheers,

Ian.

Edit: I forgot this bit, but you can buy a decorators dust sheet for stairs. Normally about 36" wide, just the job for the 'drop' for the gap. Normally made in heavyweight cotton, and can be washed. For fireproofing, try a product called 'Flametect.'

Edited by tomparryharry

I strongly recommend a decent material, as you will find it difficult to "prove" fireproofing...

The ideal is a material that is IFR - inherently flame retardant - such as wool serge. Wool is a marvellous material as it is naturally protective. Cotton is not, and has to be treated.

You can also get DFR and NDFR - durably flame retardant, and non-durably flame retardant. With the correct paperwork, these are ok. Display felt is a very cheap form of NDFR material (bought from the right place) but it's ability to withstand flame wears off with time.

I always have my drapes just kissing the floor. Nowadays there aren't the cigarettes, and also, they're fireproof, so even if there was delighted cigarette, they're not going to go up in flames! I can't tell you how many black borders (the horizontal black drapes over the stage) I've seen have eight inch diameter holes neatly burned through them, because someone's flown an LX bar in behind it and then powered the lanterns up without checking. Leave one on for a few minutes and it will burn right through..... it's why fireproof materials are so vital. Any dust in the blacks however, will burn easily and start a major fire.

A company like JD McDougall will either sell you the materials or make up a cloth to your specs.

https://www.mcdougall.co.uk/fabric/fabrics/display-felt/

https://www.mcdougall.co.uk/fabric/fabrics/wool-serge/

I strongly recommend a decent material, as you will find it difficult to "prove" fireproofing...

A company like JD McDougall will either sell you the materials or make up a cloth to your specs.

https://www.mcdougall.co.uk/fabric/fabrics/display-felt/

https://www.mcdougall.co.uk/fabric/fabrics/wool-serge/

Hi Giles

Nice to hear from you. Have phoned McDougall and I think I will get them to make the drape. Quote wasn't quite as bad as I feared!

Paul