RMweb

Irish trackplans

ddoherty958

• RMweb Gold

I checked the NLS site and they don't cover Ireland (at least not online).

I am sure there must be some sort of Public Records Office in Ireland that has old OS maps. Perhaps even worth asking at the local library or at a County History Dept.

• RMweb Premium

The Lough Swilly railway, E.M.Patterson, David & Charles 1964 and subsequent editions shows sketches of Fahan Pier on p112 and Carndonagh on p114.

I would emphasise that these are sketches rather than scale diagrams but they show the track layouts and buildings.

Published photos of both stations are rare, given the early closure of the branch beyond Buncrana but the L&LSR by J.I.C.Boyd, Bradford Barton shows Fahan on p73.

From memory, having traced the branch on Google Earth some years ago, the station buildings at Carndonagh survive fairly much as built.

Ian T

From memory, having traced the branch on Google Earth some years ago, the station buildings at Carndonagh survive fairly much as built.

Ian T

It is. I am lucky enough to have a house down the road from the old carn station, still stands in all its glory, and Fahan is now a restaurant called the railway tavern and firebox grill.

The Lough Swilly railway, E.M.Patterson, David & Charles 1964 and subsequent editions shows sketches of Fahan Pier on p112 and Carndonagh on p114.

I would emphasise that these are sketches rather than scale diagrams but they show the track layouts and buildings.

Published photos of both stations are rare, given the early closure of the branch beyond Buncrana but the L&LSR by J.I.C.Boyd, Bradford Barton shows Fahan on p73.

Ian T

Do you have this book?

Could you send me the pictures?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XxPcPMyemI shows you how to use the OSI map viewer. They have historic Ordnance Survey maps - but some are too early for later railway lines to be shown

Oh my goodness!

Thank you sooo much!!

I would highly recommend this to anyone doing a trackplan!!

Look at these screenshots!!

thank you!!

It was going to be so hard!

Thank you!

post-34709-0-73516600-1532657158.jpeg

post-34709-0-59362600-1532657174.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Re post 6 

Do you have this book?

I have these books but I would have thought that posting the diagrams would probably breach copyright.

The books are quite easy to get hold of and three are currently listed on e-Bay; two at sensible prices and one at a stupid asking price.

The track plans in the book are fairly crude undimensioned sketches and do not really show any more (if as much) information as the maps.

If you let me have an e-mail address I can forward them if you want them.

Ian T

Re post 6

Do you have this book?

I have these books but I would have thought that posting the diagrams would probably breach copyright.

The books are quite easy to get hold of and three are currently listed on e-Bay; two at sensible prices and one at a stupid asking price.

The track plans in the book are fairly crude undimensioned sketches and do not really show any more (if as much) information as the maps.

If you let me have an e-mail address I can forward them if you want them.

Ian T

Many thanks but using ordance survey Ireland I was able to get correct scale, labelled track plans for free (see my blog)

post-34709-0-64167500-1532720764.jpeg

post-34709-0-66845700-1532720788.jpeg

Edited by ddoherty958

Glad you found the information you were looking for and great know we have another railway modeller in Donegal.

John

Yeah. I’ve sent a message to the CDRRS about volunteering in the model railway section. Still waiting.