Information Gathering: Carcassonne - Rivesaltes

nest

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I wonder if anyone is able to help. I've been half thinking about a layout based on the line from Carcassonne to Rivesaltes in the south of France having been taken by both the atmosphere of French railways and the area surrounding the edges of the Pyrenees.

Beyond the French Wikipedia page on the line, in struggling to find much information on the history of the line. Perhaps a long shot BUT if anyone has any photos or information regarding stock (especially that used during the 1950/60s) I would be extremely grateful.

Having ridden from Axat to Maury, I can safely say it is a rather splendid bit of railway!

• RMweb Gold

It certainly is. And the bit west of Axat towards Quillan even more so.

In theory, you should be able to do Carcassonne to Quillan by train but mostly replaced by buses these days.

I lived for many years just north of Estagel, so it's my local railway.

I don't know all that much but could put you in touch with people who do. In particular, the AMVHA club members who had (and possibly still have) a layout based on the line.

As regards locos, in that period, mainly the Baldwin 62000 class diesels which have been available from a couple of manufacturers. And then, later, the 66000 class mainly.

Passenger service stopped before WW2 between Quillan and Rivesaltes.

• RMweb Gold

It certainly is. And the bit west of Axat towards Quillan even more so.

In theory, you should be able to do Carcassonne to Quillan by train but mostly replaced by buses these days.

I lived for many years just north of Estagel, so it's my local railway.

I don't know all that much but could put you in touch with people who do. In particular, the AMVHA club members who had (and possibly still have) a layout based on the line.

As regards locos, in that period, mainly the Baldwin 62000 class diesels which have been available from a couple of manufacturers. And then, later, the 66000 class mainly.

Passenger service stopped before WW2 between Quillan and Rivesaltes.

Oh great thanks, any help is much abliged.

In terms of anything I built I will be extending passenger services through to the 50s just due to what is available stock wise.

I will certainly have a look at said club.

Nestor

There was a reasonable amount of mineral traffic (mainly talc) from a location between Quillan and Axat. When we stayed at my god-daughter's godmother's ancestral pile at Axat, back in 1994 or '95, there was what seemed to be a daily working by a couple of BB66000. There was evidence, in the goods yard at Axat, of recent timber traffic. There were further indications of mineral traffic at a couple of locations on the way towards Rivesaltes.

The railway almost envelops Axat, with a large, stone-built viaduct at the southern end, followed by a station on a ledge cut into a hillside. Someone obviously once had ambitions for this line.

• RMweb Gold

Oh great thanks, any help is much abliged.

In terms of anything I built I will be extending passenger services through to the 50s just due to what is available stock wise.

I will certainly have a look at said club.

Nestor

Any post-war passenger services would almost certainly have been railcars. Quite a lot of possible options there.

If loco-hauled, probably four wheelers.

AMHVA =  Association Modelistes Haute Vallee de l'Aude. I have lost touch with them somewhat but can probably initiate contact again.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

There was a reasonable amount of mineral traffic (mainly talc) from a location between Quillan and Axat. When we stayed at my god-daughter's godmother's ancestral pile at Axat, back in 1994 or '95, there was what seemed to be a daily working by a couple of BB66000. There was evidence, in the goods yard at Axat, of recent timber traffic. There were further indications of mineral traffic at a couple of locations on the way towards Rivesaltes.

The railway almost envelops Axat, with a large, stone-built viaduct at the southern end, followed by a station on a ledge cut into a hillside. Someone obviously once had ambitions for this line.

The mineral traffic ran to St Martin Lys. It's only a few kilometers west from there to Quillan so it's quite strange that two very long branches have remained from what was a through line. When we first used to visit the area (1970s), the railway was still intact throughout but a rail over road girder bridge was removed about 1980.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much. Plenty of relatively interesting traffic then.

I remember when I was there (staying in Lappradelle) being very impressed with the general architecture of the route, especially the bits round Axat and the viaduct across Lappradelle.

My plan would be for a small stopping point beyond Lappradelle when the line is running through the much flatter vineyards towards Rivesaltes. All in the pipeline at the moment but good to know there is plenty of interest to be had in the traffic on the route.

Cheers

Nestor

The mineral traffic ran to St Martin Lys. It's only a few kilometers west from there to Quillan so it's quite strange that two very long branches have remained from what was a through line. When we first used to visit the area (1970s), the railway was still intact throughout but a rail over road girder bridge was removed about 1980.

There's an isolated section of tunnel next to the road, just after the loading point at St Martin.

I met the modelistes a couple of years after visiting Axat, at a show in Aubenas; I recognised some of the locations immediately, and started chatting with an old fellow. He said something like, 'that's the village of which I'm mayor- we've an English couple who have a house there' They turned out to be a colleague at work, and her husband. The world is definitely too small..

• RMweb Gold

There's an isolated section of tunnel next to the road, just after the loading point at St Martin.

I met the modelistes a couple of years after visiting Axat, at a show in Aubenas; I recognised some of the locations immediately, and started chatting with an old fellow. He said something like, 'that's the village of which I'm mayor- we've an English couple who have a house there' They turned out to be a colleague at work, and her husband. The world is definitely too small..

I think all the tunnels are intact through the Defile Pierre-Lys. There is also a rather nice stretch of arcaded avalanche shelter which would be interesting to model. At one time (late 70s/early 80s), there was a project to lay a narrow-gauge tourist line for people to view the gorge.

I was at that show in Aubenas. Operation was rather compromised by the fact that the club chairman (that old gentleman who was mayor) had left behind one of the control panels. Or so we thought. As we packed up on the Sunday evening we found it amongst stuff under my stand.

Googling, I find that there is now a Carcassonne club with an exhibition layout based on the line. A different layout but quite possibly some of the same people behind it.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Hi again guys

Have just stumbled across this thread. It's in French but I get the general jist of what is being said... I knew I should have paid more attention in French lessons at school!

http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9312&hilit=quillan

It includes amongst many photos, a track plan for Quillan and a drawing for the goods shed. However, if anyone has drawings of any of the other good sheds or station buildings then that would too be much obliged?

It does appear to be universally recognised as a really very lovely bit of railway. One of the highlights of that particular holiday was our view of the Viaduct at Lappradelle from the house in which we were staying. I will try and see if I can find any of the photos from that trip.

Nestor