Trix Liliput A4 livery question.

Hi all

I recently acquired a wonderful Liliput A4 Silver link with the later motor and it runs amazing.

Nice as it looks the livery to me looks like it’s not accurate or is it a rare version of the livery before the silver loco’s where painted garter blue.

It’s in the usual colours but the letters are gold and red rather than the blue grey ones you normally see. Also has the nameplate on the smoke box as in latter life and not painted on the sides.

This makes me tempted to repaint it but that would be sacrilege

Any advice appreciated it looks like a possible attempt at photographic Grey.

Cheers Rob :)

Edited by Rob Hayes

Hi,

I believe that the Lilliput body shell is the same as used by Bachmann with a newer chassis.  If that is the case, then you may be able to get a second hand Silver Link Bachman body in the three shades of grey that the four initial A4s came in.  This livery was to match the Silver Jubilee train that had been introduced on the LNER in 1935.

Whether it is sacrilege to repaint a Lilliput item, I don't know.  If you are up to the challenge and your repaint is as good as a Bachmann A4, then go for it  - it may affect its resale value on the collectors market though.  Better to sell it and buy the Bachmann or later loco drive Hornby product.  If you can afford it, there is also the option of the Dapol £300+ super-detailed item....

Regards,

Steve

Hi,

I believe that the Lilliput body shell is the same as used by Bachmann with a newer chassis.  If that is the case, then you may be able to get a second hand Silver Link Bachman body in the three shades of grey that the four initial A4s came in.  This livery was to match the Silver Jubilee train that had been introduced on the LNER in 1935.

Whether it is sacrilege to repaint a Lilliput item, I don't know.  If you are up to the challenge and your repaint is as good as a Bachmann A4, then go for it  - it may affect its resale value on the collectors market though.  Better to sell it and buy the Bachmann or later loco drive Hornby product.  If you can afford it, there is also the option of the Dapol £300+ super-detailed item....

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Yes indeed this is the pre Bachman Model. I bought it becuase I wanted to have one of these older designed in my collection. I like it fine as it is.

I just wondered about the livery and the modern bodies have mild changed so won’t fit without mods.

This is the rare late type with the 5 pole tender flywheel motor and is actually the best running a4 I have by far even better than the Hornby model !,

It’s just one of those situations where I love what it is but can see it had potential to be so much more with a better paint job. Not scared of talking it if I choose too.

The livery is growing on me however and has a nostalgic charm you couldn’t replace.

I just wondered if it ever was a real livery or if it’s a “neverwas”

As regards the Dapol Model. Very nice but I hear unreliable and does not look quite right. Something off about the front end.

The Hornby Model nailed it (nearly) as did Trix but the new Dapol one has this bulbous thing going on about the nose.

That said I would love one... but not at that price ! Wow

Cheers Rob :)