RMweb

At last a model railway for me

IanClive

Good Morning 

So after many years wanting a model railway , I've finally got the chance to build one , So the basic idea i have is something like Barber's Bridge in OO gauge 

Set around 1982 ish 

I'm thinking of around 4 ft x 1 ft , And am talking to Neil at The Little Layout Company , for him to build the baseboards and lay and wire the track to DCC  , Is that cheating ? , But I'm going to do the scenic modeling myself 

So my next plan is lots of research on small 3 road fuel depots , and looking for kit's and bits and pieces to use  on the layout 

thanks for taking the time to read my post , Ian 

Edited by IanClive
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian.

I wouldn't say it was cheating mate but given that it's a simple track plan why would you pay someone to build the base board, lay the track and wire it for you when you have all the wisdom to do it right here at your finger tips. You can buy base boards in kit form on ebay for not a lot of money and people on here can talk you through building them, track laying and wiring and everything else. Then you can say you have built it all yourself and saved yourself money with which you can buy stock. If you look at threads like Cambrian street, Bob did all that himself with zero experience. Just a thought mate of course you must do it the way you are most comfortable with. 

Regards Lez.Z.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

Welcome to RMWeb.

I have a particular fascination with small layouts (possibly because I have little space to work with) so will be following this on. Good luck.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

No, it isn't cheating, and yes, you could do it yourself and spend the money on trains.  But if you are not confident in your ability in these matters it may be a very good idea to let the professionals do it for you.  

I have suggestions if you are not already committed to the trackplan; a kick back siding to use the space in front of the headshunt/fiddle yard, but of course you may have already got scenic plans for this space.  Check out Layout Topics for inspiration from RHY581's various sheepish efforts and the modern image 'Vopak', completely different solutions to the minimum space problem and both scenically magnificent.

Thank you all for your comment's and remark's , I have now told them to go ahead and start on this , I think i know where everything is going but that may chance , will change , lol 

I shall post pictures as i get them 

Ian 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ian

It's only cheating if you enter it in a contest where you have to do all the work yourself.

My layout is supported by IKEA shelving. It went up faster, was better carpented and I'd just had a bonus at work.

• Like 1