Help with reversing direction with loksound v4.0

Cbpete

Hi,

I have 3 Hornby HST's fitted with loksound V4.0 decoders with Olivia's sound on them.  I am trying to change CV29 to change the direction, I have changed it to 1 which works but the lights do not work all the sound functions work, so to get them to work again I have to re write the address to it which then alters the direction back the other way.  I have tried doing this on both Hornby elite and Bachmann dynamis.  Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Peter

Instead of writing 1 to CV 29, add 1 to the existing value. By writing 1 you are clearing other bits which control how the lights are controlled. See http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

When you re-write the address, it sounds like you are using a long address and the system is enabling this in CV29 but not keeping the direction change. It doesn't know you have changed it manually so is helpfully setting it to what it thinks is correct. Given this, there ought to be a way to write the address and direction from your system without fiddling directly with CV29.

Adding to CV29 is not always the correct advice. If a bit is already set then adding the value of that bit value will flip it but will also affect other bits.

Edited by Crosland

Hi,

I have 3 Hornby HST's fitted with loksound V4.0 decoders with Olivia's sound on them.  I am trying to change CV29 to change the direction, I have changed it to 1 which works but the lights do not work all the sound functions work, so to get them to work again I have to re write the address to it which then alters the direction back the other way.  I have tried doing this on both Hornby elite and Bachmann dynamis.  Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Peter

With a 2 car HST - one car requires to be set to run in reverse, to get the correct lights at each end.(Unless of course Hornby have reversed the socket wiring in one car of each pair at the factory ?)   

I'd suggest first you reset each decoder separately by entering 8 into CV8 that should restore the default settings. Then read separately the value of CV29 in each car, they should both be the same and both run in same direction with the lights working correctly. Then on one car only - add 1 to the total value already in CV29  then when the cars are back to back they should both run forwards/backwards together with the correct lights at each outer end.

Edited by tractor_37260

You need to be careful when you change CV29 as it can control up to 8 different things in the decoder, not just the default direction of travel. In your case by writing the value 1 to CV29, you've changed the default direction of travel but in doing so, you've turned off all the other things that CV29 controls without realising what you've done.

Also just adding 1 as others have advised will be the wrong thing to do if the default direction of travel has already been changed to work in reverse.

However, changing the default direction of travel is the easiest one to change. Here's a simple 4 step process that will always work with all makes and models of DCC decoder (Edit: provided the decoder supports reading CVs),, and will leave all the other things that CV29 controls unchanged.

Step 1. Read CV29. You should get a value between 0 and 255.

Step 2. Decide if the current value of CV29 is odd or even, The odd numbers are 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 etc., and the even numbers 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10,12, etc.

Step 3. Work out the new value of CV29. This is easy, but it depends on whether the current value is an odd or even number. If the current value is odd, (1, 3, 5, 7, etc.) you TAKE AWAY 1 from the number. For example if it was 9 then the new value needed in CV 29 is 8 (9 - 1 = 8) or if it was 131, the new number is 130 (131 - 1 = 130) etc. But if the current value is even ( 2, 4, 6, 8, etc) you ADD 1 to the value. So if it was 2 then the new value for CV 29 needs to be 3, (2 + 1 = 3). 

Step 4. Write the new value that you worked out in Step 3 to CV29. Job Done.

But this doesn't get things back to where they were for you before you changed CV29. So, your best bet is to call Olivias and ask them what value they use in CV29 for their HST Sound, and write that value to CV29. You should now have restored the value of CV29 to the value it was before you changed CV29 to 1.Check that everything is working as it was previously.

Now use my 4 step process.

If Olivias won't tell you what value they used, you will have to assume that they have left the default ( ex-works) value unchanged, which is 12. If you had given the decoder a long address, that will have changed the value of CV29 from 12 to 44. So write either 12 or 44, depending on whether the decoder's address is short or long to CV29 and see if that puts everything back to the way it was. If the lights still don't work, then you will have to change CV29 to 14 or 46, again the actual value depending on whether you have a short or long address. Once you've got everything working as it was before, use my 4 step process to change just the default direction of travel.

Hope this helps.

There are a few other CVs that control several different things simultaneously in Loksound V4 decoders, so before you change any CV in one, make sure you know what you're doing. If Olivias didn't give you one, you can download the LokSound V4 manual from the ESU website here http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/ All the Loksound and LokPilot manuals are there, so make sure you get the one under the heading "LokSound V4". The list of CVs, what they do, and their default values is on pages 78 to 84.

Edited by GoingUnderground

Hi,

Thank you all for the information I have managed to change the direction of my 3 HST's.  You might think it would of been easier to change the power cars round, only reason I did not wish to do that, is I like the motored power car to push on the larger radius curves and pull on the inner ones, plus I know they all go round my layout with no problems.

I have come across a couple of other thing with the Dynamis which I will write a new post for.

Thank you all once again for the help.

Peter