RMweb

Class 52 Western, Noise

Sails

I saw a couple of Bucaneer's for sale in the London Transport Museum so thought I'd pick one up (there are not too many of the earlier batch around for sale new) before the next run come out. Done an initial run in (30 mins minimum each direction at quarter speed). A dull hum very noticeable going forward, an annoying high speed click and louder hum. Knowing its been in the box for a while I lubricated at both points and let settle for a while, another run at slow speed and no change.

Is there anything else I can try to do eliminate the racket coming from this otherwise very nice looking model?

Mark

• RMweb Gold

RESOLVED, returned to retailer.

Probably the best solution. For what its worth my first batch example was (and still is when I run it without the sound chip playing!) noticeably louder mechanically than my latter example. Both have been been renamed so I can't tell you which models they were originally I'm afraid. 

Probably the best solution. For what its worth my first batch example was (and still is when I run it without the sound chip playing!) noticeably louder mechanically than my latter example. Both have been been renamed so I can't tell you which models they were originally I'm afraid. 

HI Mike,

Yes it was unfortunate as I did like the model in hand and I was getting excited about the new releases but just tempering any thought of another Western for now. I was also considering sound that would have muted some of the heavy hum I was getting, but the high speed click would still have been bugging me (Somethng not right inside no doubt and purchasing sound just to mask a defect doesn't seem very logical).

I will follow the release of the newer batch due, maybe hear one tested first if possible.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Modern RTR generally runs very quietly, a side of effect is that one is much more aware of noise that shouldn't be there.  It is nearly always the result of something rubbing or fouling or misaligned spur gears, and a click suggests a crack in something; you did the right thing to return and I hope your replacement runs properly.

Real Westerns could make a bit of noise moving forward as well...

Assuming we're talking 4mm scale here, you could consider the Heljan model when you go for a replacement. The Dapol one is more detailed and has a better cab roof profile, but is delicate. I have both Dapol and Heljan models and the Dapol one runs with a slight whine from the motor and gears (not bad, but I expect modern mechs to be quieter), whereas the Heljan one is absolutely silent (with the after-fitted sound turned off) - all one hears is the clicking over the rail joints. The cab roof shape can be fixed with a file and some paint on the Heljan model, there is plenty of 'meat' in the plastic to allow this without breaking through.

One other potential cause of clicks or noises and vibration can be a cardan shaft out of true.

In short, both are good models, with Dapol winning on detail and finesse, but losing on quietness, robustness and hauling power. Dapol/Kernow model in weathered blue, Heljan in maroon.

44061215131_822b25b6d8_b.jpg
Kernow and Heljan Westerns 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

29124580527_2d41f09ec1_b.jpg
Kernow and Heljan Westerns 1 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Assuming we're talking 4mm scale here, you could consider the Heljan model when you go for a replacement. The Dapol one is more detailed and has a better cab roof profile, but is delicate. I have both Dapol and Heljan models and the Dapol one runs with a slight whine from the motor and gears (not bad, but I expect modern mechs to be quieter), whereas the Heljan one is absolutely silent (with the after-fitted sound turned off) - all one hears is the clicking over the rail joints. The cab roof shape can be fixed with a file and some paint on the Heljan model, there is plenty of 'meat' in the plastic to allow this without breaking through.

One other potential cause of clicks or noises and vibration can be a cardan shaft out of true.

In short, both are good models, with Dapol winning on detail and finesse, but losing on quietness, robustness and hauling power. Dapol/Kernow model in weathered blue, Heljan in maroon.

44061215131_822b25b6d8_b.jpg

Kernow and Heljan Westerns 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

29124580527_2d41f09ec1_b.jpg

Kernow and Heljan Westerns 1 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

You've made a great job on the Heljan roof there, Jeff - I haven't had the nerve to touch mine!

I do have four of these, and wholeheartedly confirm that the mechanism on all of them is excellent, bags of power and very, very quiet.

John.

You've made a great job on the Heljan roof there, Jeff - I haven't had the nerve to touch mine!

I do have four of these, and wholeheartedly confirm that the mechanism on all of them is excellent, bags of power and very, very quiet.

John.

Thanks for the compliment, John.

I used a flat file with a plain, smooth edge, which meant I could file away the roof surface while leaving that central lump for the horns untouched and undamaged. I worked from photos to get as close as I could to the right profile. It's not perfect,  but it is close to accurate.

Incidentally, I used the Heljan headcode numbers and letters mounted inside the Dapol headcode boxes too. It can't be seen clearly in the photos, but with the lights on, it works. I think that is more convincing than using the external stick-on headcodes supplied by Dapol.

It is just as well to take something like that back.

If we all fixed them ourselves (it possible) then this gives manufacturers no reason to tighten up on their quality control.

It they receive a huge amount of returns, then surely they will be more likely to do something about it?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello. Mine has the noise too. But I won't bother looking at it as it went bang either today. On a running in session. I had it while. I don't who it scared more me or the cat.

Obviously I am sympathetic but your words did raise a laugh. Do you know what 'went bang' - circuit board or motor? In either case it should be repairable either on the warranty or at cost.

Obviously I am sympathetic but your words did raise a laugh. Do you know what 'went bang' - circuit board or motor? In either case it should be repairable either on the warranty or at cost.

The small PCB board is very scorched and is missing an electronic component and the resistor between the he motor terminals the very black. And two LEDs on the cab end with the short harness are black.

I don't know if I'm going to look at it anymore and spend more money on a loco that shouldn't have these issues in the day and age of technology. I'm just going to get the old Heljan one out again and put the new set of replacement wheels on which I found last weekend.

Edited by 44558