A few problems I am having with Dynamis

Cbpete

Hi,

I have come across a couple of problems, the first one is with trying to read / programme decoders that are fitted to none motorised models with the Bachmann Dynamis.  When trying to programme my Hornby HST dummy car and MK3 DVT on the programming track all I get is Write error. I have tried with the HST dummy car and the power car together but still get the write error.  I can not read any cv values, but it does seem to write the ID number to it.

My second question is how do I get the handset to remember the speed step to all my locos? I change them all on the handset to 28 steps but it keeps reverting them all back to 128 steps.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Peter

You will get a write error whem writing to decoders in non-motorised models on most if not all DCC controllers. The reason is that the decoder signals its acceptance of the write instructiom by sending a short pulse of power to the motor. The DCC controller "sees" the power spike and so knows that the write command has been accepted by the decoder. If there's no motor then there's no power spike and the controller interprets that as a write error. Your Dynamis is not faulty in that respect.

I wouldn't worry about the speed steps. Most recent decoders are quite happy on 128 speed steps. The more speed steps, the smoother the acceleration anyway.

Some controllers will program dummy car decoders (e.g. Hornby Elite post firmware v1.4), but if yours can’t then temporarily connect a 100 ohm resistor across the vacant motor output on the socket. The ACK pulse will be felt across the resistor and the controller will press on to the next bit of its task. Program as required then remove the resistor. This is important as if it remains in circuit and you apply throttle to that address the resistor will see that voltage and heat up, possibly burning itself out and/or melting nearby plastic.

Usually having both motor and dummy cars on track is enough to fool the controller.

Rob

• 2 months later...

Ive had a general problem now for a while but it is intermittent.  Occasionally, I get read and write errors when programming locos on the Service Track.  Ive made sure the track is clean and model wheels clean, but to no avail.  Im wondering if others have experienced the same?

dave

• 7 months later...
On 18/10/2018 at 11:02, S&DWatty said:

Ive had a general problem now for a while but it is intermittent.  Occasionally, I get read and write errors when programming locos on the Service Track.  Ive made sure the track is clean and model wheels clean, but to no avail.  Im wondering if others have experienced the same?

dave

I have had a similar problem this evening. I am in the process of building a layout and have just completed the baseboards. I have one loco - a 2nd hand Hornby Class 31 fitted with a TTS sound decoder (by previous owner) ,  and I have a new Bachmann Dynamis controller. I have not laid any permanent track as yet but I can connect up a 4 yd length of 'Main' track and a 1 yd length of 'Service' track to the Dynamis. I have previously managed to program the loco on the service track, but this evening, I was trying to change the default direction on the loco but kept getting read and write errors. The loco will work on the service track in terms of sound, lights and movement, so there is no problem with the electrical connection, but it will not program. Furthermore, If I put the loco on the 'main' track and select 'program on service track' it programs the loco! So basically. the service track output on my Dynamis works like an ordinary length of track and my 'main' output thinks it's also the service output. It's not so much of a problem at the moment, given that i don't have any permanent track and only have one loco, but once things are up and running, I want the service track to behave properly. Any help would be appreciated.

On 26/05/2019 at 00:05, 9C85 said:

I have had a similar problem this evening. I am in the process of building a layout and have just completed the baseboards. I have one loco - a 2nd hand Hornby Class 31 fitted with a TTS sound decoder (by previous owner) ,  and I have a new Bachmann Dynamis controller. I have not laid any permanent track as yet but I can connect up a 4 yd length of 'Main' track and a 1 yd length of 'Service' track to the Dynamis. I have previously managed to program the loco on the service track, but this evening, I was trying to change the default direction on the loco but kept getting read and write errors. The loco will work on the service track in terms of sound, lights and movement, so there is no problem with the electrical connection, but it will not program. Furthermore, If I put the loco on the 'main' track and select 'program on service track' it programs the loco! So basically. the service track output on my Dynamis works like an ordinary length of track and my 'main' output thinks it's also the service output. It's not so much of a problem at the moment, given that i don't have any permanent track and only have one loco, but once things are up and running, I want the service track to behave properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Errm... when I said that both the main track and service track were behaving like they had swapped over... they had. I had moved all track off the baseboards to paint them. When I connected the dynamis back up to the temporary track, I had connected the piece of track with the feed for the service track to my 'main' track. Pilot error.  Carry on everyone. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been playing around with a Dynamis Ultima for a few months as a possible walkaround DCC controller on my home layout. I've been very satisfied with my Prodigy and NCE systems but at the time of purchasing the Dynamis was the only out-of-the-box option with a walkaround capability that I could find available.

I've run into a few niggles but by and large I quite like it as a controller, however I haven't found the programming capabilities to be anywhere near as reliable as the Prodigy or NCE systems. I've wired up a totally isolated service track, connected back to the Ultima (and plugged into the correct socket) but I find it very hit and miss as to whether it can read or write variables. The rails are spotless. Although I don't have access to a multimeter, it concerns me that when locos are on the service track, they sometimes move and are able to have their sound functions triggered. I don't just mean that they twitch a bit - they can go into a full wheel spin, even if I'm just asking for an address to be read back. This suggests to me that there's a lot more power being sent to the service track than I'd expect. Can anyone report on their own experiences with the servicing track?

Aside from that, it just won't program addresses a lot of the time. I've just spent a fruitless hour trying to get it to change the long address on a Loksound V4 decoder.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2020 at 16:45, Barry Ten said:

I've been playing around with a Dynamis Ultima for a few months as a possible walkaround DCC controller on my home layout. I've been very satisfied with my Prodigy and NCE systems but at the time of purchasing the Dynamis  Although I don't have access to a multimeter, it concerns me that when locos are on the service track, they sometimes move and are able to have their sound functions triggered. I don't just mean that they twitch a bit - they can go into a full wheel spin, even if I'm just asking for an address to be read back. This suggests to me that there's a lot more power being sent to the service track than I'd expect. Can anyone report on their own experiences with the servicing track?

I have had the same issue when programming the Hornby Class 31 I used to have.  It would sometimes travel to the endof the service track (ie 18 inches from the middle of the piece of 1 yd flex track). I would sometimes have to hold it to stop it leaving the track.

I have now got a Bachmann Class 47 and a few days ago I was trying to adjust the master volume as it was too loud for my liking.  I kept getting errors on the service track, but when I chose 'program on main track ' it behaved perfectly. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/05/2020 at 16:45, Barry Ten said:

Although I don't have access to a multimeter, it concerns me that when locos are on the service track, they sometimes move and are able to have their sound functions triggered. I don't just mean that they twitch a bit - they can go into a full wheel spin, even if I'm just asking for an address to be read back. This suggests to me that there's a lot more power being sent to the service track than I'd expect. Can anyone report on their own experiences with the servicing track?

I have some thoughts about a couple of aspects. I don't think its anything to do with "power" - the amount of "power"provided to the track is fairly constant but it sound like the signal to the decoder with the instructions of the task it has to perform has become "deformed" and giving incorrect instructions to or reading back corrupted date from the decoder. Assuming the track wheels and pick ups are clean, the possible sources of the issue would be the connection of the jack plug on the back of the decoder, wire connection to the track or internal connections within the base unit. Maybe checking these would help? Reason for suggesting that is if you are getting clean signals to the main track - the service track jack plug or related internals of the base unit are the most likely culprits.

• Informative/Useful 1