RMweb

Controller for ACE locomtives

Hello,

I use a gaugemaster controller, intended primarily for LGB, and it looks after Ace locos a treat.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GMC-10LGB&style=&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+10LGB

If you happen to have an ordinary 12V controller intended for 00 to hand, that will probably allow you to run a single Ace loco with no, or very short, train, but will overheat and trip out if you try to run a loco with a heavy train.

By the way, although rated for 20V, these locos go quite fast enough for most tast s at 8 to 10V; they will do the wall of death at 20V!

Some users will tell you that you need controllers with very high current ratings, higher than the one I use, but you won’t unless you are running Ace locos double-headed or on very hefty trains, or you are running pre-WW2 locos with wound-field motors or very tired permanent-magnet motors.

BTW, which locos do you have? I might be able to confirm what currents they draw.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Both of these are pre-2008 production, and can be a bit more ‘current hungry’ than the later locos.

One big ‘beware’ is that the Celebrations are afflicted by very thick grease, which was applied to the gearing in the factory in error. It really guns-up the works, and it’s vital that it is cleaned-out, because it can cause damage. A loco with gummed-up works will draw over an amp in most cases.

Check the E1 too, although I don’t think they were given the wrong grease.

Kevin