JMRI problems

pendlerail

Hi all, I have the following systems-

NCE power cab with USB 

Sprog 11

Windows XP netbook

Windows 10 Laptop,

I am having problems with them all,

It all started when I started to use NCE to read all my locos so I could use my Phone to control my layout, via my Netbook.

I found that some of my decoders were not recognized by JMRI,

I tried to find a way of updating it but to no avail.

so I thought I would try to install the latest version of JMRI, but my Netbook wouldn't run it, so I tried my Laptop,

All I got was No Com port available, I googled the problem and installed some software but still had the same problems,

Sprog was showing as Sprog but with a problem, and NCE was showing as Other device.

I have since tried to use the Netbook again but now it won't connect even though it can see them both?

Can anybody help?

• RMweb Premium

What power supply are you using for the sprog??

I encountered a possibly similar issue with my sprog 2 which was seemingly cured by using a 'beefier' power supply (was 12v dc/1A, now 15v dc/2A)

Edited by CloggyDog

Hardware wise, I can only help with the SPROG. Assuming it's a SPROG II, not a IIv3 or v4, on XP you need to accept that the drivers are unsigned when installing them. On Win 10 you need to disable driver singing before installing the drivers. This is explained in a doc on our download page http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/download.shtml (also covers the newer versions). The Windows 10 update process can disable unsigned drivers, requiring them to be re-installed, unfortunately. In both cases, look for the COM port assigned in device manager and use that in the JMRI preferences. Also in JMRI preferences, make sure that programming functions have not been set to "internal" where a hardware connection is available. It's very easy to get confused and save a bad setup, especially when the hardware is not correctly setup.

Regarding Java/JMRI. You do need the correct version of Java for the version of JMRI you are running. For XP, Java 1.7 may be the latest supported but I believe (could be wrong) that later versions do actually work. The best place to ask about this is probably the jmri users group https://groups.io/g/jmriusers/topics

Andrew Crosland