RMweb

ESU LokPilot Standard decoder malfunctioning

NIK

Hi,

My model railway club chairman asked if I could with the aid of my newish ESU Decoder Tester have a look at a DCC decoder of his that wasn't working properly.

I found the FL/RL lights wouldn't swap over when the direction was changed regardless of speed.

The motor would only run when F3 was turned on and then it would only run at a constant medium speed.

I reset the decoder by setting CV8 to 8 and this fixed the FL/RL lights but now the motor wouldn't run at all.

I would have suggested he try and find someone with a ESU Lokprogrammer and try a firmware update but the LokPilot Standard isn't listed as upgradeable.

Any suggestions?.

Regards

Nick

....I would have suggested he try and find someone with a ESU Lokprogrammer and try a firmware update but the LokPilot Standard isn't listed as upgradeable.

Hi Nik

When you say the LokPilot Standard isn't listed as upgradable, have you gleaned that from the list of decoders on the ESU downloads page of their web site?

If so, you might note that all their current range of decoders are not listed either !

There is a note that says.....

The program does NOT support any decoders of the 4th generation (neither LokSound V4.0 nor LokPilot V4.0)!

Those decoders will be automatically updated by the LokProgrammer 4 software.

Like the V4.0 series LokSound and LokPilot decoders, the LokPilot Standard is also upgradable using the LokProgrammer.

The ESU web site says.....

Programming is particularly comfortable with the ESU LokProgrammer where see all parameters in plain text on your PC monitor.

The LokPilot Standard can be updated and, if necessary, new operating software can be uploaded with the aid of the ESU LokProgrammer. 

Thus your decoder always stays up to date, even after the purchase!

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

If you look under Further Information on tbe ESU Downloads page for the LokProgrammer 4 you'll see that it does upgrade the LokPilot Standard firmware to version 1.2.1415 from version 4.6.2 of the LokProgrammer software onwards. The decoder firmware versions are included within the LokProgrammer programme itself. You do need the LokProgrammer hardware as well as the LokProgrammer software. The software can be downloaded for free from the Downloads area of the ESU website, but the hardware must be purchased. The latest version of the LokProgrammer software is 4.7.2 which was released in July 2018.