NS 1500 (EM2) 1:160 chassis help

All,

I recently purchased a 1:160 scale NS Class 1500 (EM2) body from Shapeways.

However given the locomotives size (being UK loading gauge) none of my existing NS locomotive chassis fit.

The axle centres and wheelbase of the Startrain 1300 are a very close fit. However the width of the chassis is about 4mm too wide - Milling the chassis down isn't an option.

I have attached an annotated picture of the dimensions required for the power chassis.

Any help or knowledge of N gauge chassis would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Giles

post-7098-0-66821000-1534933397_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Colony of termites and lasercut bicycles, chain driving each axle??  

:P  :D  :P  :D

BR class 47 should be close for the bogie wheelbase - 7'3"+7'3" in 1:148 would be pretty close to 15mm+15mm for your 1500 in 1:160. 

EDIT - yup, assuming Farish did their sums right, the 47 bogie in 1:148 would be 14.93mm+14.93mm, 29.86 total bogie wheelbase, within the proverbial gnat's crotchet of 15+15.

PetersSpares has a complete Farish Spoon bogie for under a tenner: https://www.petersspares.com/graham-farish-gf32-class-47-complete-bogie-coupling-Bachmann-n-gauge.ir

Central can motor, plasticard chassis frame + lead weights might do the job??

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 2

Thanks Alan!

I've already invested in a terminate colony, should be here Tuesday!

In the meantime I've just prized open my Farish (china) 37 (prior to retooling) The bogies are just the ticket, the later build (in the ink you posted) uses cardan shafts from the motor rather than a worm drive that Poole built locomotives used. In theory, it shouldn't be too hard to knock up a chassis in plasticard - there's even a possibility the dummy base plate https://www.shapeways.com/product/UX9URZCNY/ns-1500-and-em2-chassis-n-gauge-1-148-and-1-160?optionId=65806786&li=marketplace

which I bought for the underfloor gubbins could be used as a starting point I guess.

Giles

Colony of termites and lasercut bicycles, chain driving each axle??  

:P  :D  :P  :D

BR class 47 should be close for the bogie wheelbase - 7'3"+7'3" in 1:148 would be pretty close to 15mm+15mm for your 1500 in 1:160. 

EDIT - yup, assuming Farish did their sums right, the 47 bogie in 1:148 would be 14.93mm+14.93mm, 29.86 total bogie wheelbase, within the proverbial gnat's crotchet of 15+15.

PetersSpares has a complete Farish Spoon bogie for under a tenner: https://www.petersspares.com/graham-farish-gf32-class-47-complete-bogie-coupling-Bachmann-n-gauge.ir

Central can motor, plasticard chassis frame + lead weights might do the job??

• Like 1