Heljan Class 14/Zen 360 issue

Mad McCann

I’m currently trying to deal with a problem with the above combo.

The loco shows signs of running smoothly except for a tendency to stop/start repeatedly then stall.

This is accompanied by the lights going on and off in accordance with the above cycle.

I use an NCE Powercab.

Please help save this loco from being spontaneously ‘Keith Moon-ed’ in the not too distant future, thanks. ;-)

D.

Check that the wheels are clean.

Check the backs of the wheels are clean & make sure the pickups are touching the wheel backs.

Is this the only loco you are having trouble with & do the stoppages occur on curves or straight track ?

The next thing to do is run it on DC. It will do that unless you have disabled DC running in the chip.

If it runs well on DC then the problem may be the DCC chip itself or the DCC socket.

If it doesn't run well on DC with the chip still in the loco replace the chip with a blanking plug & test again.

You can test the chip by trying it in another loco that you know works well with DCC.

You can test the DCC socket by replacing the DCC chip with a chip that you know works.

Edited by amdaley

I’m pretty sure that the zen has a 750ma sustained, 1 amp peak rating.... Heljan loco’s are infamous for their high amp ratings... could quite possibly be that the zen doesn’t have the juice.... I personally don’t put zen’s in my Heljan’s, I use the Lenz standards.....

Thanks. I tend to do the same but there’s no space in the decoder housing of the 14 for a standard.

This is the only one I could get to fit.

I’ll try the loco with a bigger one just to test the theory.

Failing that I’ll probably remove the RFI suppressors as they do historically interfere with decoder operation as I understand.

D.

I’ve removed the decoder, Tony. Once I’ve rigged up the rollers with my DC controller, I’ll ascertain whether there’s some fundamental fault with the model itself. I’ll be embarrassed if I’ve been taken for a mug twice with the Heljan 14.

Previously I’ve just given a basic power test with a 9v battery which didn’t suggest any serious issue.

It must be said though, the amount of side play, as before is ridiculous.

D.

Mine is fitted with an ESU sound decoder and I have a similar problem with mine, jerky running in one direction only. I have tried everything I can think of, CV54 'Autotune' other CV changes, wheel and pick-up cleaning, fitting very small 'e' clips to the 'jack shafts' to take out the ridiculous amount of side play but nothing has worked.

Edited by michaelp